durso "flushing" in new 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h20addict

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have re done my oceanic 75g recently with an internal overflow and everytime i test the system i get a build in back pressure in the stand pipe and drain pipe and then it release the air and sounds like a flushing toilet every 3 minutes...i have tried, long and short with the drain pipe. Currently it's on a 45° slant. Holes in the stand pipe
Any suggestions?
ForumRunner_20130228_214504.jpg

ForumRunner_20130228_214523.jpg

Try putting airline tubing in the drain pipe - sort of push it in as see at which point it stops making noise. When / if you find the sweet spot, clamp it into place. I read that it could help - i had the same air gurgling/flushing noise, an the airline tubing helped but then I asked lfs and they suggested I just move the unit to be more directly underneath the overflow box - which eliminated that problem and did not require airline tubing.

I will give that a try, cant hurt.
As you can see im directly underneath my overflow. Iv read that the drain pipe cannt be 100% vertical if its lvc

Did you drill a hole in the top cap of the standpipe? If not. Drill a hole in the top and put a piece of airline tubing in there. That should let the air out. If you are still getting the sound then you might need to add a valve to the end I the airline. I did this on my stockman standpipe. I have attached a pi so you can see what I am talking about.

image-2305095446.jpg

I did drill a hole in the top, but i didnt add any tubbing..
Seems like that might do the trick

I did drill a hole in the top, but i didnt add any tubbing..
Seems like that might do the trick

I would try that. Put the tubing in the hole till it stops making the noise. Or put it in and pull it out till you get to the sweet spot.

I was able to get the flushing to stop but now the return pump is draining the return section of my sump faster then it will fill up

I was able to get the flushing to stop but now the return pump is draining the return section of my sump faster then it will fill up

You need to put a ball valve on the return end of your return pump. Your pump is to big for the overflow. You just need to dial the return down a little.
Glad to hear that the noise stopped.

I have a ball valve on the return. Played with it. It still didnt help the issue

I have a ball valve on the return. Played with it. It still didnt help the issue

Yea play with it. Turn the flow down and give it a minute. Maybe you just need more water. Be sure not to overfill otherwise you'll flood your tank and house. Your just not equalizing. Your overflow will only drop water into the sump as fast as the pump can work. And if the overflow isn't allowing enough flow to the sump then then the pump will draw water out too quickly out of the sump.

Yes. I enlarged the hole on top of the durso and added a bit more water and all is well now

Awesome. Glad it all worked out. Now you have a quieter tank.

Back
Top Bottom