Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Dusk/Dawn Feature

How important is it to similate dusk and dawn? Do you think the sun in the morning coming into the house and then the room lights at night is good enough? Right now I similate it by putting a 40watt all-glass light strip on top of my wood canopy. The light goes through an opening on the canopy and is enough to creat this feature. Although my canopy is open in the back, I still think it would be nice to let heat escape through the area that the stip light is on top of. Last summer I only had 40 total watts now I have 440watts and I am a little concerned about this coming summer. Thanks as always.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have my actinics only on 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. I'm not sure there is any data to show a big benefit to it, it's more asthetic from what I've read.

If you're concerned about heat, you could always install a couple PC fans at the end of the hoods to cool things, especially living in a hot climate.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I did install two fans one blowing in air and one blowing out air. My temperature swing is usually about 1.6 degrees from 77.7 to 79.2 But that is with my house temp of 70 degrees. I know those numbers are not too bad,but summer time may be an issue. I just wonder if I really need to similate dusk and dawn with another light on the aquarium. If it is just aesthetic, Id rather not do it since mine doesnt really look cool anyways because it is not an actinic light.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

its recommended that you put the actinics on 2 hrs before and 2 hrs after the main lights go out... this creates the effect the best and it is important to some fish because these "moonlights" help them spawn, as well as certain corals. it also keeps the fish from going into "shock" when the bright MH or T5 come on..
Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have my actinics on 1 hr before and 1 hr after. Not sure if it simulates dusk/dawn but the fish have been going through it for ten yrs now.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I have my actinics on 1 hr before and 1 hr after. Not sure if it simulates dusk/dawn but the fish have been going through it for ten yrs now.
That is how we do it , you have to remember there are folks with just normal output lights that come on in the am off at night with out the 2 bulbs ,and have had no ill effects . I believe that if conditions are right they (fish/corals) will spawn with out the lighting ... you will not really ever get the full sunrise/set effect unless you run your lights on a dimmer and that is not available unless you have the new LED lighting , which can simulate that and cloud cover .

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com