Dusk/Dawn Feature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
How important is it to similate dusk and dawn? Do you think the sun in the morning coming into the house and then the room lights at night is good enough? Right now I similate it by putting a 40watt all-glass light strip on top of my wood canopy. The light goes through an opening on the canopy and is enough to creat this feature. Although my canopy is open in the back, I still think it would be nice to let heat escape through the area that the stip light is on top of. Last summer I only had 40 total watts now I have 440watts and I am a little concerned about this coming summer. Thanks as always.

I have my actinics only on 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. I'm not sure there is any data to show a big benefit to it, it's more asthetic from what I've read.

If you're concerned about heat, you could always install a couple PC fans at the end of the hoods to cool things, especially living in a hot climate.

I did install two fans one blowing in air and one blowing out air. My temperature swing is usually about 1.6 degrees from 77.7 to 79.2 But that is with my house temp of 70 degrees. I know those numbers are not too bad,but summer time may be an issue. I just wonder if I really need to similate dusk and dawn with another light on the aquarium. If it is just aesthetic, Id rather not do it since mine doesnt really look cool anyways because it is not an actinic light.

its recommended that you put the actinics on 2 hrs before and 2 hrs after the main lights go out... this creates the effect the best and it is important to some fish because these "moonlights" help them spawn, as well as certain corals. it also keeps the fish from going into "shock" when the bright MH or T5 come on..

I have my actinics on 1 hr before and 1 hr after. Not sure if it simulates dusk/dawn but the fish have been going through it for ten yrs now.

I have my actinics on 1 hr before and 1 hr after. Not sure if it simulates dusk/dawn but the fish have been going through it for ten yrs now.
That is how we do it , you have to remember there are folks with just normal output lights that come on in the am off at night with out the 2 bulbs ,and have had no ill effects . I believe that if conditions are right they (fish/corals) will spawn with out the lighting ... you will not really ever get the full sunrise/set effect unless you run your lights on a dimmer and that is not available unless you have the new LED lighting , which can simulate that and cloud cover .

Back
Top Bottom