Dust inside UV light canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just replaced the light bulb in my Double Helix UV sterilizer, and inside the housing there was some white or light grey dust.

Any idea what the dust is?

probably dead bacteria and skin cells that were in the air and settled out

also could be from the unit itself desinegerating - exposure to intense short-wave radiation is hard on just about everything involved, including the glass sleeve and the internal plumbing

I don't know how anything would get in there. I am more concerned that some of the material itself is degrading somehow, although the unit is less than a year old.

I don't recall whether there is a white liner inside the unit. The casing is black plastic. The spiral tubing that the water runs through, which encircles the UV bulb, is made of some sort of plastic or pvc or polymer, and it is basically clear...it would also be worrisome if that is somehow breaking down. The maker says that the space age material they use for that is one of the features that distinguishes their product in terms of durability, in addition to the design, which has the water spiralling twice, I think, so that the exposure to the UV is lengthened.

What you say makes sense.

I sent an e-mail to Custom Sealife, the maker...waiting to hear back.

They just wrote back and answered a few of my other questions as well as this reply regarding the dust:

"The UV light reacts wit the reflector causing it to oxidize. We have actually stopped using the reflectors inside the units. This is not a danger. The dust can be blown or wiped out. "

How does that sound?...Think I should insist on a replacement?

I was pleased by the timeliness and throughness of the response. The fellow who wrote back was courteous and seemed knowledgable.

Back
Top Bottom