Dwarf Angel advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramiboy9142

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! So, while still in the process of setting up my saltwater aquarium, one of the fish on my stock list is a Coral Beauty Angelfish. However, I would like to keep corals as well. Having done some research on the matter, it's come to my knowledge that these seem to be one of the more-likely-to-be-safe Angels. So, what are you guys' experience with this fish in a reef aquarium, and if yours is safe, how did you reach that point (feeding certain foods, etc.)? I understand that everyone's experience is different, I just want to get an idea of the odds and see differentt aquarists' techniques for success. As always, all advice and feedback is appreciated!

-Diego

I had a coral beauty in my 55 reef. It all comes down to personality at the end of the day, but a well fed coral beauty most likely won't be interested in nipping at your corals. This is also something that can change all of the sudden years after being fine as well.

I had a coral beauty in my 55 reef. It all comes down to personality at the end of the day, but a well fed coral beauty most likely won't be interested in nipping at your corals. This is also something that can change all of the sudden years after being fine as well.

Right. I take it a good amount of algae growth will also keep them busy enough to not bother the corals. I actually forgot to mention the point about them suddenly changing for the worse, and that's another scary notion when deciding. I would really like to have both, and I know a lot of people have had success with both, but I want what's best for everyone (including corals) in the end ?.

It's doable. But after doing it and having no issues, for me it is more about the corals than it is the fish...so I would skip on it again. With that said, I have had filefish in my reef and want to do it again, so take it how you want LOL.

I had one that was a model citizen for 4 years and then all of a sudden he went rogue. Had to take him back to LFS for store credit.

It's doable. But after doing it and having no issues, for me it is more about the corals than it is the fish...so I would skip on it again. With that said, I have had filefish in my reef and want to do it again, so take it how you want LOL.

I think I'll give it a try, as they're not that expensive and a lovely fish. But if he/she starts to nip, that little Angelfish is going back to the store if it kills me! XD

I had one that was a model citizen for 4 years and then all of a sudden he went rogue. Had to take him back to LFS for store credit.

Yeesh, sorry to hear that :/ . Which of your corals did he nip at, just so I can know what to expect should this happen to me?

I have a bicolor angel in my fowler (220 gallon) and he is the biggest pest on the tank. He nips my lionfish and angler fish. If I thought I could catch him, I would.

I have a bicolor angel in my fowler (220 gallon) and he is the biggest pest on the tank. He nips my lionfish and angler fish. If I thought I could catch him, I would.

Oh man! :/ I've heard that not only are Bicolors one of the least reef-safe Dwarf Angels, but also one of the most aggressive. Sorry your experience was so rough with yours!

- Diego

Back
Top Bottom