Dwarf Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey I want to put a Dwarf Angel (Eibli, Flame, Coral Beauty or Bi-Colour) in my 23.8G reef tank. Any ideas for which one? I'm leaning to Coral Beauty ATM.
Thanks. :D

Coral Beauty is the most reef-safe that I've come across, I would say they are better than having a Flame Angel....

If you like having a lot of poly extension on your sps coral then get none. Or if you would like to keep clams. I haven't researched the dwarf angels too much, but if I was to pick from the list I would definitely go with the flame angel..... I think thats what you were referring to when you said "fire"

I know there are loads on here that do not like them and maybe they are not reef safe but!!!! I have a flame, bi-color & coral beauty in my system and none of them other my corals............just happily pick at live all day and whatever food that can found......if i had to choose then definately a flame as they are fantastic colours..........

IME I`ve had problems with angels in the reef tank. The two I had were model citizens for four years before they almost wrecked my reef. I would suggest no angels in a reef. Sorry just my experience.

Ok I've read around more and I think the main theme of they're reef-safeness is how well they are fed. So I think I'll get one, feed it well (my fish get fed twice a day as is) and if worst comes to worst return if I have to.

I think that is the way forward ........... as I stated before I have the 3 and no probs, they graze all day so never go hungry..............IME with a reef some people get away with things that ARE NOT normal/shouldn't happen....... I have 3 Dwarfs for a start no probs.......... I also have a blue trigger (Niger Trigger) that shouldnt be in there, he's nearly matured..............I was mislead by an indiot no longer use that LFS, but to be fair he has not done any damage.........eats flake, seaweed, live frozen even my finger if it's in there long enough but never touched my corals......... so you may be fine good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a blue trigger (Niger Trigger) that shouldnt be in there, he's nearly matured..............I was mislead by an indiot no longer use that LFS, but to be fair he has not done any damage.........eats flake, seaweed, live frozen even my finger if it's in there long enough but never touched my corals......... so you may be fine good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet. That's lucky. :D

I personally would agree with no angels in a reef tank based on my experience. Can it work? Yes. Will it work? You won't know until you try, but you have to be prepared to suffer the losses and rehome the angel if you do try and it doesn't work. Oh, and "rehoming an angel" is synonymous with "taking everything out". ;)

Being married to HN1, I've had the same experience with dwarf angels. ;) It may work, but be prepared to move everything if it doesn't.

Most importantly, I don't think your tank is large enough for any angels, especially with the other fish you have.

Really... IMO a dwarf angel shouldn't be kept in anything less than a 3 foot 30 gallon tank. We currently have one in a 30 gallon cube (not ideal) until we figure out what to do with it.... it's our coral munching half black. ;)

Hmm. Ok what should I do then? Get one and see how it goes? Get a small one? My LFS usually has some nice small ones for sale. BTW I love your avatar severum mama. :D

Thanks! :D

Rather than taking a chance with an angel, I'd recommend researching fish that are reef safe and are appropriate choices for your tank size throughout the life span. Are you interested in gobies at all? There are many species that would be a great addition to your tank. A royal gramma or chalk basslet would be nice instead.

What can I say? I agree completely.

I love my fish geek! :D

I was intending to get a Firefish Goby and Yellow Clown Goby.
OK Tank Stocking List for fish:
I have:
1 Black False Perc
1 Chromis
1 Six-Line Wrasse

I'm thinking of getting:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish Goby
1 Yellow Clown Goby

Maybe a Mandarin?

Mandarins will need a larger tank that has an established fuge and pod population and should be ruled out for now IMO. Your list looks pretty good to me. I'd add the gramma last, but that's just me.

Just a guess. If your clown and wrasse are going to have issues with any of those fish or vise versa, I'd suspect it will be the RG. The goby and firefish should be fine I think.

Back
Top Bottom