Dwarf Angels in a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i know this topic is very debatable but i was wondering what dwarf angelfish in YOUR experience has been nice to corals.

My lemonpeel is a model citizen with corals but other fish and anemones that is a different story. I have him it a tank by himself now with corals.

this question is important to me too. i want a flame angel. but if its going to wipe out my corals once it reaches adulthood, then its out.

angel

i have a coral beauty now for about five years in a 180.he hasnt caused me any grief.they seem to be hit and miss these dwarf angels.i feed a little heavy so it might be keeping him at bay from nipping corals.thats my take.

My coral beauty was fine with mushrooms, never bothered them, added a leather coral and the angel nipped at it constantly.

I had a Lemonpeel that very rarely nipped at corals, but I did see it happen. It mostly happened when a new coral was introduced to the tank (usually once).

I have a flame angel (couldn't resist) and so far he's been fine..... I do notice a spot missing out of my pagoda cup coral, but I didn't see how that happened! I have mushrooms, bubble, frogspawn, toadstool, hammer, devils hand, polyps, pavona cactus, wellso brains...... Sometimes I watch him swim around the corals thinking the worst, but he doesn't nip them! I do provide algae sheets and feed every other day..... I think that helps! Good Luck!

I had an adult flame that never touched coral, anemone or clam. But he ruled the tank. He never bit anyone but he chased a little.

Now I have a flame pair, the female nips a lot. She is not reef safe.

ive read coral beauty is least likely. but i have one in another tank. btw, i have two corals in that one. some zoahs? and flower pot corals. i havent seen issues there.

i had a midnight, he died before my tank progressed very far. and ive wanted a flame since i started sw.

coffeetwitch said:
ive read coral beauty is least likely. but i have one in another tank. btw, i have two corals in that one. some zoahs? and flower pot corals. i havent seen issues there.

i had a midnight, he died before my tank progressed very far. and ive wanted a flame since i started sw.

Yeah me too, angels where one of the reasons I got into saltwater. I REALLY want to get one but corals are a first. I might give it a shot though....

At what point (in an established tank) where the corals are all thriving and you have to do trimming anyways would the angel be a pain to have? If its not just picking on one type of coral- wouldn't it be a help in the long run trimming for you?

***not a statement- an honest question!

But that's what I mean. If they didn't just pick at one coral. I dunno. I'm not chancing it anytime soon by any means.

i have had my coral beauty for 5 years and the only coral he went after was an open brain he kept picking and picking and so the darn thing kept retracting so i moved it to the 65 gal.other than that he has been great.i guess in summary is you spend alot on corals and fish and when you see something you worked hard for injured or damaged it disappoints you.i try to research as much as i can on something i want but then again their are no gaurantees.it sure makes this hobby challenging.:)

Angels usually go after LPS. I think I have been lucky since I feed a variety of food herbivore and meaty type. I tend to feed rather heavy as well so that could be the reason they don't.

Back
Top Bottom