Dwarf Angels: Safe with Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishluv14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I am about to get a saltwater tank, and I am thinking of having some corals in it. I am currently planning the livestock I will have in there, and I would like to get some kind of dwarf angelfish, but I recently heard that most of them aren't safe with invertebrates and corals. Would it be possible that there is a reef-safe dwarf angelfish? I also heard that most dwarf angels won't pick at your coral as much if you keep them well-fed. Is that true? Thanks!

P.S. I am thinking of getting a 150-180 gallon tank.

Japanese Swallow tails are reef safe. Most of the time Coral Beauties and Flame are safe. I had a coral beauty and it never touched anything.

I have to differ on the coral beauty. I had a coral beauty and a flame and they wrecked my reef. They were perfect citizens for 4 yrs but then all of a sudden they went to munching and they were well fed. I dont believe that myth either about being well fed.

Fed my half black angel every day and algae sheet every day too. He still ate most every kind of coral: Birds nest, brain, zoas, monti. Only thing he didn't eat was mushrooms. He s been relocated. :)

its difficult to say with stuff like that as every fish has a different personality so you will hear of succes stories and horror stories but both have to be taken with a pinch of salt as you will never predict and individual fish. it also can change by one getting a taste for something for example if it nips a corral once and likes it it will carry on. same with the fact i hae a puffer with shirmps who tbh seems more scared of them than they are on it but couldnt all change year or so down the line. the one thing i would suggest though is a large tank with lots of corals would be better as it should mean that even if the angle starts nipping it shouldnt just tagret one coral or two and so they should be able to cope better in the worst case scenario

also things like mushrooms and leathers are supposed to taste worst so should have more success with those

Like anything else it really depends on the fish. Fish of the same species will have different temperaments. Many dwarf angels are ok but there will always be the possibility. If doing a flame angel I would recommend adding it towards the end if your stocking if not as the last piece. They can become fairly territorial IMO

Never safe in any reef regardless of what people say. The chance of nipping will always be there.

Feed it well and it increases your odds of success. Coral beauty is a safer bet than most.

Back
Top Bottom