dwarf fuzy lion fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
is this fish safe with other fish/inverts? My local fish store seems to think so and the one the have is peacably living with some damsels. I think these little guys look awesome, but my gf is banning it from the tank unless there is enough proof that it could behave itself =)

They are carnivores and can/will eat whatever easily fits in their mouths, including smaller fish and shrimp which are a staple in their diet. So if you have a $30 cleaner shrimp, its like a trip to red lobster for the little guy. Which is unfortunate as a volitan is on my must have list, but he won't work in my current tank. On the other hand, if you keep him VERY well fed, he might not eat anything else. Unless he wants to. Or he's bored... :D

Lion Fish can eat consume items that are comparably large according to their body size, this is because they are lazy swimmers and have to use a lot of energy for one kill, so they have to consume something that will fill their belly in one snap. i would not put a lionfish in a tank that has fish or motile inverts that are smaller than the maximum size of the mouth. a good rule of thumb is to keep fish that are larger than the carnivorous fish being introduced.

P-MAN

Back
Top Bottom