Dwarf Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popo559

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will soon be adding a dwarf lionfish to my tank. What is the best food to feed them. Or I should ask what is everyone feeding theirs that seems to be working the best. Thanks for the advice. :lol:

I've fed mine fresh shrimp pieces (frozen/thawed works great too), pieces of silversides and freeze dried krill. They are pretty hardy and should be easy to train to eat prepared foods. I also would recommend getting a feeding rod. They are only about $1.50 and makes feeding the lion soooo much easier.

I've done it both ways. For my fuzzy dwarf, I started out with gutloaded guppies but with my zebra dwarf, I started right with the freezedried krill. The zebra was so good about taking prepared foods, it would even come to the surface and eat flake food. :?
I really don't believe live food is necessary. These dwarf lions are very adaptable and they won't go long before hunger makes them give in and try what you are offering. I'd try the prepared first.

I have had this fish in my tank since last Saturday. It has not shown any interest in eating. It still appears to be healthy. I realize that it takes awhile before they will want to eat, but at what point should I become concerned? I have offered him krill, but he just swims away. I put guppies in my tank and they just swimmed right past him. :bulb:

It's not uncommon for them to go on a fast. Try some garlic oil or Kent makes a product called Garlic Xtreme that I've used and works great to get finicky fish to eat. Soaking the krill in some garlic juice may entice him to eat. If he continues to not eat after trying the garlic, you might want to try some ghost shrimp or marine feeder shrimp like these. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2191

I know this may sound wierd, but with my dwarf, I just put the krill on the clear feeding wand and keep pushing it in his face, he finally got mad and grabbed it and i guess realized that it was food, now he is down to the point he will come eat it out of my hand. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom