Dwarf Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gal reef with several softies, a Niger Trigger, Coral Beauty and small (3") sohal tang that's just awesome.

Would a Dwarf Lion work here?

Keep in mind, a lion will eat anything it can fit into it's mouth. Not to mention, that trigger should be housed in a tank minimum of 70G and the sohal a 180....

Well, my Trigger is just over an inch long and the Sohal is just twice that. And right now, they're healthy and happy as could be. The Sohal eats nori right from my hand and is full, colorful and voracious. Same with the Trigger so I think they're just fine.

I am saying this in the nicest possible way, but I am not really sure why you ask us at all. The fish you already have are inappropriate and you don't really seem to care. So, one can only think that with that attitude, you will do what you want as far as the lionfish is concerned anyway. But, if you want an answer on the lionfish, it is this, your 55 gallon is overstocked IMO.

Not to mention you dont have enough swimming area for even a 3" tang.

Also in addition to the overstocked tank, I would be concerned with the survivability of the dwarf lionfish. The trigger, and especially the tang, are pretty aggressive, especially to new additions. Lionfish are not very agressive fish in the sense of equally sized or larger fish. My assumption would be that the trigger and tang would harass the dwarf until it dies from stress, if not injury.

Ok, maybe the lion is a poor choice for this tank - that's why I asked, thank you.

As for a 55g not having enough room for a 3" tang - are you serious? Are you saying that owners of 55s out there only stock with 1 or 2 fish under 3"?? That's hilarious.

Over stocked?? Has this board gone wild? I have three fish -3 - totaling 6"-6.5" in a 55g with a 10g sump and I'm overstocked?? That's 1" of fish for every 10 gallons.

Seems nobody has told my fish and corals they should stop being so healthy and active. How could they possible be?? They're like sardines in there!

I believe the problem is not what the immediate situation is, it is more of what problem will come. That 3" tang won't stay that size for long, and assuming you want to keep the fish, a 55g is much too small for that size tank. At a full size of 16", that fish is going to have a heck of a time turning around in a 55g tank let alone living a healthy life.

Sometimes the truth is hard to hear, but I agree with everyone else. I have a 55 gal and it is not big enough for that tang. His health will suffer as he gets bigger because it's just not enough swimming room. Keep in mind the inches of fish rule is for fish at their adult size, number one, and number two, it is just a general rule.

Before I knew any better I attempted several tangs in my 55 (hippos, powder blues, and powder browns) and I lost them all. We're just trying to keep you from making the same mistakes we have!

You all make the assumption that I intend to keep this tang and friends until it can't turn around. Poor and yes, arrogant, assumption.

I've kept tanks for ten years now. Although I won't claim to be the "experts" on this board, I've learned a thing or two and I approach this hobby quite academically. Also, I'm a year round diver and observe these animals in their natural settings with amazement and a great deal of respect.

I'm lucky enough, here in so-cal, to have access to many fine quality LFSs which I trade with frequently. I also have a few fellow aquarists I trade with as well. When I have an animal that is inappropriate for the setting at its CURRENT STAGE, I trade the specimen. If I have an animal that appears to be unhealthy - for whatever reason - I find a new home for them BEFORE I injure them. My fresh tank has rotated endless cichlids that I've raised to amazing standards. I just returned a yellow tang when he hit almost 5" and replaced him with a 2.5" Sohal that will go to my friend's 280g when he's good and ready - and not when presumptuous people make their misinformed judgments.

Of course, I'm saying this in the nicest possible way

Ok, we were just giving you suggestions on what will be happy and what will not. You didn't inform us that you planned on moving them when they got too big. I guess that was an arrgant assumption, on my part.
Please don't take offense, we are not a LFS trying to make money off of you, we are here to share our experiences and knowledge, for free.
Please do not let this topic go sour.

It is your job to give us information that is pertinent to helping you. We are not psychic. NO ONE here was being arrogant. We were working with the information supplied.

It is also quite easy and convenient to change a story on what the plans are after the fact.

Back
Top Bottom