dwarf lionfish and corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently planning on what I want to put in my 37 gal bowfront. I was thinking of a dwarf lionfish. I also like to add corals but what kind if any are safe with the lionfish. I'm not set on the lion but I do think they are pretty cool. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this fish? TIA

I have a dwarf and they are safe with corals. Lions in general are reef safe, they will just eat your inverts. They are great fish, I love mine. They are a bit trying while getting them weaned off live food but, it's worth it. Crabs and shrimp will be snacks but, mine has never bothered snails. Good luck with whatever you decide.

IME, they are reef safe and will not bother corals. They will eat inverts as stated and will also eat any fish they can fit into their mouths. We have had fish vanish at work that we never thought could fit into the lionfish's mouth.

I just caught my lion eating a small Asterina star!! WOW what a sight!

So far my lion has taken down 3 shrimps with 2 remaining but has never tried to eat a coral yet. Actually he has taken strikes at my sun polyp when I am feeding it...he better not nip off one of those bright yellow polyps! He has also never looked at a hermit or a snail.

Thanks alot guys. Cindy you were saying something about weaning them off live food. Do they all eat live food and have to be weaned? Where would a guy get live food?

Not necessarily. You'll have to check with your lfs who you purchase it from what they are feeding it. My lfs was feeding the dwarfs ghost shrimp and I got to watch it eat before I bought it. During the weaning process, I fed mine a few guppies. Especially in the beginning while giving it time to settle in. I still give him a guppy or two from time to time.

Guppy's,really! Are they cool to watch eating them? Thanks for your help cindy. I think I will get a lionfish.

Well, yeah, it is fun to watch them stalk them, but, I don't want to sound like I'm advocating feeding live food. Especially not a diet of freshwater fish. I would still suggest getting them on a hand fed diet.(fresh/thawed shrimp or fish) They do learn to recognize you as the food giver and will come up to the glass when you get near the tank in anticipation. I only feed guppies from time to time and I gut load the guppies up on a meal of cyclops before feeding them out. Good luck with your lion, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. They are great fish with lots of personality.

Back
Top Bottom