Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

dwarf lionfish / corals

can i put a dwarf lionfish with live corals?

thx in adv.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good question. I'm lurking. Only prob that comes to mind right away is how to work with coral frags and avoid being stung by the lion.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

from what I know they don't intentionally bother corals.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

They won't bother your corals.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But will you get stung while placing frags???????

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your not careful, yes, you could get stung. It's good practice to not work in a tank with a lionfish in it unless you have someone else with you to watch for the lion.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

how many gallons does a dwarf lion need? minimum?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

30g minimum is what's suggested.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'm getting ready to do the same thing. i would just say to make sure you have something to control the bioload of feeding the lion and keeping tank levels safe for the coral. ya know with all the extra waste i plan on 50 lbs rock a small bio wheel and a sump with all the good stuff to handle the bioload so my feeding the lion wont make my tank go crazy and the coral die off. just a suggestion though
Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not sure I agree with the biowheel, though. Those things potentially INCREASE the amount of nitrates in the system. In my 90 gal I will have about 160 lb of lr - and another 40 or so in my sump. That should keep the nitrate level down to near zero.

Livestock I added:

Tags
coral, corals, dwarf, lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com