dwarf Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
went to reef store they had a powder brown tang the guy said it was a dwarf tang , has anyone ever heard such a thing , it's only supposed to only grow to 4 1/2 inchs , it was priced at $150. was a beautiful fish I just don't believe it's a dwarf , is there really such a thing as dwarf tangs or was he trying to throw a sales pitch at me

There isn't a 'dwarf' tang. The closest thing I would consider such would be one of the ones you could get in a smaller tank with a 4ft length, like a tomini or kole.
When it comes to a brown, normal tang police statements apply. It's too bad though, as browns are simply beautiful and why it is on my list of what needs to go into a future 6 ft tank.

went to reef store they had a powder brown tang the guy said it was a dwarf tang , has anyone ever heard such a thing , it's only supposed to only grow to 4 1/2 inchs , it was priced at $150. was a beautiful fish I just don't believe it's a dwarf , is there really such a thing as dwarf tangs or was he trying to throw a sales pitch at me

That's irritating and bs. That's not a reef store I would spend my money at.

I didn't think so glad I'm not that gullible , was a beautiful fish though I knew it wouldn't work in my tank , I hope no one falls for that one think I may go talk to the store owner tomorrow as I know he is always there on Saturdays,
if it sounds good it probably isn't , now I feel like a idiot as I almost fell for it , my inner power stopped me

Well, it could technically be true when considering those smaller tangs. It is hard to turn down a beautiful fish, especially one as gorgeous as a powder brown. Good will power, but sorry to be the let down.

I would suggest that next time you hear something like this, you ask for a clarification. Yes, in comparison to say a fully grown Sailfin or a fully grown Naso, a fully grown Powder Brown is a smaller or dwarf species which may have been what the salesperson was trying to convey ( poorly I may add based on your description). To my knowledge however, there are no special category "Dwarf Tangs". Just smaller species. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

plus it was overpriced by at least $100, at least compared to what is available here.
as beautiful as they are, powder browns simply are not rare enough to command that high of a price.

Back
Top Bottom