Dwarf Zebra Lion and a Cleaner Shrimp compatibility ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loyalrogue

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Looking for some advice from anyone experienced with dwarf zebra lionfish.

I just brought one home that's about an inch and a half long.
The tank he's going into only has a single skunk cleaner shrimp that's about the same length, or slightly bigger than him.
I know that a lionfish will devour any other fish that can fit in his mouth, but how do they behave with a tankmate like this?

Probably OK for now, but the lion will grow and the shrimp will become dinner.

Is your lion eating yet? I had one about the same size that I could not get to eat. I know have a fuzzy dwarf that is doing great.

Just need to realize you are limited on tank mates and keep they lion well feed.

Oh, and plase tell me the Lion is eventually headed for the 125g tank? It will never do well long term in a 10g nano. The zebras can get 6-7".

HTH,

Thanks for the quick response.

He's still drip acclimating at the moment so I can't answer about his feeding habits yet.
He was on a diet of frozen krill at the LFS so that's what I brought home with him.
Next time they have in a batch of marine ghost shrimp I'll bring him an all-you-can-eat buffet.
I saw him about 2 weeks ago and held off on buying, but when I went back tonight to fill up my waterjugs I saw he was still there, so I brokedown and took him home.

Sorry to say he's definitely not going in the 125.
Too many small and cute inhabitants I'd hate to lose...
He's going in a 10g nano for now until I setup a new 55g in the office addition sometime in early-mid 2007 after construction.
I've only done community tanks in the past so this will be my first experience with an agressive.
I'm sure I'll be back to ask plenty of future tankmate and reef/no reef questions when the time comes.
;)

Thanks for the link, Melosu.
That clears up why a larger tank is suggested.

After he went in the tank last night I got to see that the shrimp is actually twice his size so there shouldn't be a problem anytime soon.
It looks like he's really closer to 1 inch long and the shrimp is at least 2 inches long. (It was hard to tell while he was still in the bag.)
I'll definitely have to address the water quality issues tho... maybe add some cleanup crew to help catch his mess until I get him into a bigger tank?
Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom