Dwarf Zebra Lion Venomous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a GOOGLE search and came up with.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/573514.html

Dwarf Zebra Lion - Dendrochirus zebra
Also known as: Zebra Lionfish, Dwarf Lion
The Dendrochirus zebra grows up to 7 inches. The small size will come to you generally 1½ to 3 inches; the medium generally 3 to 5 inches; the large generally 5 to 8 inches. The Dwarf Zebra Lion prefers a tank of at least 30 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Dendrochirus zebra is a carnivore and likes to eat variety of live foods (shrimp & fish). The Dwarf Zebra Lion is a medium maintenance fish and may act aggressively toward other fish. It is a venomous fish, top spines. If stung, just treat with hot water. Keep with caution in a reef aquarium; may eat/nip at ornamental shrimps & smaller fish. Dendrochirus zebra (Cuvier 1829), the Zebra Turkeyfish, is the most common dwarf lion is similar in many ways and degrees to P. antennata and P. sphex. The one sure distinguishing mark of D. zebra is the presence of two white spheres on it's caudal peduncle. Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). The Dwarf Zebra Lion is commonly collected from the Indian Ocean.

It is a venomous fish, top spines. If stung, just treat with hot water.

thank you very much for spending your time looking for that info! Thats pretty cool that it says just treat with hot water

That is a common treatment for many poisons, the hot water destabalizes the venom. I can tell you from first hand experience they are venomous and it hurts quite a bit. I wish my hand had fallen off, for a period of several hours. That was after the hot water treatment.

I believe the venom is very close to the same between the dwarfs and the volitan. The dwarf that stung me, was about 6" long (pretty big dwarf), the amount of venom delivered will determine the extent of the pain. I have also been stung by a 9" Volitan, there is no comparison between the two. When I was hit by the volitan, I wasn't anywhere near a supply of hot water, it was about 1/2 hour before I was able to treat. It was pure agony.

Back
Top Bottom