dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have alot of kenya tree corals in my tank and my tank got unpluged thanks to my girlfriend and now it looks like one of my big stalks is dying how do i know if it is dead and should i remove it will it cause harm to my tank if it dies thank you for your help

Tree corals will wilt and then kind of fall apart. Take it out and shake it under some saltwater in a bucket. If pieces fly off, it's dying. Save whatever frags that look good and get rid of the rest. Keep tabs on the ammonia. Don't let it decay in there. It will produce ammonia.

Tree corals will also shrink up some when stressed or irritated. Personally I would wait and give it some time to see if it rebounds. It can generally take anywhere from a few days to a week. I would hold off on moving or fragging the coral until you actually see signs of necrosis.

Cheers
Steve

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...340983_0_aaa80b2bf6fdea9065e0a7045dc0f98d.jpg

img_340983_0_aaa80b2bf6fdea9065e0a7045dc0f98d.jpg

img_340983_0_aaa80b2bf6fdea9065e0a7045dc0f98d.jpg

ok it still looks the same but when i touch it with my prongs it still retracts so should i leave it in there longer?
thanks

Did anything fall away when you touched it? Sounds like it's still in the process of recovering.

Cheers
Steve

no it is all still in one peice and is still alive i have noticed every now and them my flam nips at it for a second but does no damage to it

The flame nipping at the coral will only prolong the recovery rate. Might even make matters worse eventually. As long as the coral is showing no sign of necrosis or polyp separation, you should have no problems though.

Might want to reconsider the angel if your going to keep these kinds of corals. If it's nipping at them now, it will only get worse as time passes.

Cheers
Steve

it is back to life and looking better then ever thanks for the help guys good thing i didnt take him out

Back
Top Bottom