Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
dying

I have alot of kenya tree corals in my tank and my tank got unpluged thanks to my girlfriend and now it looks like one of my big stalks is dying how do i know if it is dead and should i remove it will it cause harm to my tank if it dies thank you for your help

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tree corals will wilt and then kind of fall apart. Take it out and shake it under some saltwater in a bucket. If pieces fly off, it's dying. Save whatever frags that look good and get rid of the rest. Keep tabs on the ammonia. Don't let it decay in there. It will produce ammonia.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
steve-s

Tree corals will also shrink up some when stressed or irritated. Personally I would wait and give it some time to see if it rebounds. It can generally take anywhere from a few days to a week. I would hold off on moving or fragging the coral until you actually see signs of necrosis.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/attach...045dc0f98d.jpg

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

here is what it looks like it happen yesterday and it has not changed at all I will wait longer

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/attach...6dd221fb0a.jpg

Old 02-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok it still looks the same but when i touch it with my prongs it still retracts so should i leave it in there longer?
thanks

Old 02-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
steve-s

Did anything fall away when you touched it? Sounds like it's still in the process of recovering.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

no it is all still in one peice and is still alive i have noticed every now and them my flam nips at it for a second but does no damage to it

Old 02-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
steve-s

The flame nipping at the coral will only prolong the recovery rate. Might even make matters worse eventually. As long as the coral is showing no sign of necrosis or polyp separation, you should have no problems though.

Might want to reconsider the angel if your going to keep these kinds of corals. If it's nipping at them now, it will only get worse as time passes.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

it is back to life and looking better then ever thanks for the help guys good thing i didnt take him out

Tags
dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com