Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Squado, im pretty sure ur having cyano. Yes they are really crazy. I tried blacking out the tank for 2 days, they were gone. The 3rd day, after the light was on for an hour, it came back even stronger lol. Google cyano and how to get rid of it.

Quote:
I'm not sure unstable pH would cause this. PH will change from morning (lights on) and at night, (after lights out). Sounds more like excess nitrates or phosphates. I think it might be hard to detect phosphates because the cyano lives off of it.
PH changes very lil between light on and off, about .1 or .2. By unstable PH, i meant going from say 8.1 is the lowest ur PH should be, to 7.8 like squado said his PH is. If he tests PH when light is on and PH is at 7.8, PH could be 7.6 at night, which is not suitable for a reef.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right now I do not have any corals in my tank. I moved them into my brothers nano cube when I decided that I had to make some changes for the cyano. I have a chemical which I used once about tweo weeks ago called chemi-clean for the cyano. It worked in getting rid of the red algase, but has done nothing for the brown algae. I stopped using it after I read some posts about it just being a bandaid, and decided to try to fix the root of the problem instead. What could cause white cloudy water?

Old 06-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squado
I have a chemical which I used once about tweo weeks ago called chemi-clean for the cyano. It worked in getting rid of the red algase, but has done nothing for the brown algae. I stopped using it after I read some posts about it just being a bandaid, and decided to try to fix the root of the problem instead. What could cause white cloudy water?

Check out the water you are adding to your tank. Also I dont know if you have a UV light but the cloudy water could be algea spores which the UV will help to get rid of.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
White cloudy water could mean that ur tank has an algae bloom. I dealt with my algae bloom with a new skimmer lol. Worked for me Also, as melosu said, a UV sterilizer will also works. HTH

EDITED: the cheapest but efficient way to deal with algae bloom is to run AC 24/7 in ur tank

Tags
algae, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com