Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dying Algae, cloudy water?

I had recently (still am) having some brown algae problems. After adding a phosphate reactor and phosband, I had noticed that the water quality cleared up immensly and the algae began to slowly die. After the algae started to disappear the water became slightly cloudy (overnight). Is this normal? I am assuming that since the algae is dying that it may be going into the water, or is something else happening. Thanks in advance.........

Old 06-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think it could possibly be another type of algea that is living off the dying algae. In otherwords, your tank is dealing with the new "bio-load". But I could be wrong. Have you changed your lighting cycle?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right after I posted the first message, I noticed that a red algae is starting to form and the brown algae is comming back (slower than before though). My water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10 (increased)
Phosphate = 0
calcium = 500 (decreased)
KH = 12
ph = 7.8 (decreased)

All of this happened overnight as well. Before I went to bed the water was clear and the brown algae was starting to go away. I had just recently added a phos-reactor with phos-ban (yesterday). Should i do a pwc ("real ocean water)? My lighting cycle duid not change either. I also noticed that there is a small amount of foam forming on the top of the tank. Teh only difference in mechanics is that my third power head (on top) was used for the phos-reactor, now I have two (on top). Do you think this is normal or any suggestions?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It could be the proton from all the dying algea. After I added red slime remover my water got all bubbly and cloudy because the skimmer was working overtime with all of the organic waste. Just a thought. HTH
Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I think the red algae (cyano) that ur having is caused by the unstable PH.

R u still having cloudy water? does ur water have a greenish tint?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The water actually has a white cloudy tint too it. The algae that I have is pretty crazy. Im not sure about all different kinds of algae, but this morning when I got up the algae was pretty much gone, turned the light on for two hours and it was back! As for the cloudy water, that pretty much happened over night. Does anyone know why it would cloud up after being clear as daylight for a couple fo days?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Could be your Bio wheel. It looks like you might have almost LR to run your filter with out the wheel... I'll let the more experienced jump in....

Quote:
unstable PH.
I'm not sure unstable pH would cause this. PH will change from morning (lights on) and at night, (after lights out). Sounds more like excess nitrates or phosphates. I think it might be hard to detect phosphates because the cyano lives off of it.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 06-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

The bio wheel hasn't been replace in about a month. I just checked my water parameters today, and found that the PH went up to 8.0 and the nitrates went down to .5. Should I replace the bio wheel, take it out, or add some live rock to where the bio wheel used to be?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I imagine you could add some LR rubble and remove the Bio Wheel, maybe add about 5 more LBS of LR to the tank, if you can. I was advised to feed lightly for the first week to let the bacteria build up. You may want to wait on others for advice when doing this. I have not yet attempted it. But I am thinking I might when I get back from the beach on Tuesday.

Not sure how big that angel is yet but I believe they like a tank of about 100G or more. i can't remember if you were planning on getting a bigger one. My LFS has one and it is Beautiful. I want to buy it every time I go in there!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 06-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Koran angle is still quite a small specimen, only about two inches. I know that they get huge when they are older, but he has not yet started to change color yet and he seems to be doing fine in the tank. I also know a person who has a bigger tank, 100 gallon, who said he would buy him from me when he gets to big. My bio wheel is really gooey right now, but I heard that is from the nitryfying bacteria. I heard that bio wheels have a tendency to raise nitrate levels after being used for a good amount of time and the lr sounds like a good plan.

Tags
algae, cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com