Originally Posted by fishman2
how about the specific gravity?
He just put that up... 1.025.
I would suspect your acclimation methods more than anything. Try nassarius, they seem to be more hardy than turbos. It seems like your water parameters are in line, and even if you had a ragingly high alk
level like 21 dkh
it shouldn't make your snails die, unless, of course, you're not acclimating them properly. Try the drip method. It really does work the best. Do you know if you're getting ph flux and how bad it is when you turn your lights on and off? Do you have a refugium on 24/7 or on opposite schedule as your main? Do you have any macro algae, or just nuisance algae? If you're going to test for mg
/magnesium, you should also be testing for calcium, because it is how much ca
you have that determines what your mg
levels should be. Do you dose your tank with iodine or iodide? Too much of either can kill inverts. Copper is another possible culprit. If you use tap water, don't use hot water, because it WILL have copper in it from your hot water heater. If you use RO
water in house, you could still get copper if your membrane is old. If you use tap water, it is possible depending on the age of your home that you're getting lead in the water, or high iron from galvanized plumbing. Really, RO
is the way to go. And the best way to get rid of nuisance algae is first to starve it, and then to out compete it. This is one case where caulerpa comes in handy... I used caulerpa prolifera to out compete the hair algae in my tank, then fed it all to the tang! Now I have gracilaria in my sump/fuge and in my main, and my hair algae problems are nearly over. Of course, this was with blenny and tang grazing to help. The other option, is if you don't have coral, do a blackout. Just wrap the tank up with towels and leave the lights off for a few weeks. Your coralline can't do anything under hair algae anyways, and the hair algae keels over pretty quick without light.