Easiest way to dose kalk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read a few different ways but I wanted an opinion based on my setup.

I have a container that holds about 5-10 gal of top off water. It can hold more but that is all I fill it up too. 5 gal usually lasts almost a week. I have a pond pump that suctions to the bottom of the container and draws water from the bottom to supply my sump when the float calls for water.

I have read some just dump the pickling lime in their top off container and fill with fresh RO water. Let it sit over night and then turn everything on so that when the float calls for water, the sump gets kalk. I worry about my pump sucking in the paste on the bottom though.

Using this method, at the end of the week, do you just dump more kalk and RO water in and let it all mix up or should the container be cleaned? I have added some kalk to my container but I mixed it in a separate container and skimmed the top off and tried not to pour any of the bottom paste in. Worked ok but I need an easier way.

The second option would be to set up a drip into the sump using a 2.5 or 5 gal container.

Any suggestions?

You don't want to get the precipate in your tank. Also, Kalk loses its potency after a few days so making it weekly is not going to help you much. It's best to keep it in an air tight container until you use it. Nightly drips or kalk slurries are the common ways to dose. Maybe someone here can give you some additional ideas.

Back
Top Bottom