Easy Hitchhiker Catching (Imo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_hard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few weeks ago we noticed some rather big eyeballs poking out of a newer piece of live rock we decided it best to pull it out and at least ID the new creature. In doing so we used a colander, a glove, and a small water basin type thing filled with fresh saltwater a little cooler then the tank. We quickly picked up the rock and placed it in the colander then lifted the colander out of the tank and placed it in the cooler water, after about a minute out came a little mantis shrimp. After playing with him for awhile I grew pretty fond of him and set him up his own little tank. Then a different day while target feeding our corals and sponges we noticed some little legs inside a different rock so we did almost the same thing. It was a smaller rock so we used only a glove and while grabbing the rock quickly wrapping a hand around it we placed it in a tub with cooler water again and he slid right out - a really tiny baby crab this time. We put him back in after determining he wasn't too big of a threat.
In doing all of this we have concluded that a very easy way to get them out of the rock is to use cooler water, not cold just a few degrees cooler. They are both still living and doing fine, I believe the cooler water shocks them to a certain extent and makes them forget to hide from you. This makes it easy to figure out whether its a bad or good hitchhiker. Then you can determine to keep it or get rid of it or fall in love with it like I did with my mantis and give it its own home!! Just thought I would share our way of doing this with you although it will only work if you know where they make their home in your tank!! Btw it hasnt hurt the critters or the life (sponges, polyps etc) on the rock!

Got any ideas how to get good tank pics without the flash bouncing off the glass? Every pic ive taken looks horrible and if i turn the flash off the exposure is too long to stay still even with my tripod.

Here are a couple pics of the mantis we caught - hopefully I did the pics right 1st time posting them

Attachments

• IMG_20110202_141828 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20110202_141828 - Copy.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20110202_141840 (1) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20110202_141840 (1) - Copy.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 175
that tiny crab won't be tiny for long. i pulled a crab about the size of a pencil eraser off of an sps colony and tossed him in the sump. about a year later, i spotted this guy-
img_1210289_0_a4ec999a71f235dfd19339e851d8e7c5.jpg

Thats nuts!! If he starts getting too big I will just have to set him up his own tank like the matntis ;) wont my bf be so excited if that happens lol

If he's a bad crab throw him in with the mantis :vader:.

One thing you could maybe try is recording small video clips, and look for a good frame to capture.

What camera are you using?

I have a HP photosmart but the pics I posted using my cell phone (droid). I did get a couple from a video it still doesnt look the best.

I actually thought of feeding the mantis it but being soooo tiny i just couldnt do it yet. I did feed him a guppy but he only ate the head lol. Im hoping he will be ok on frozen foods for now he seems to like mysis but probably not for long once he grows some i will have to get used to feeding him live foods.

I wish it was that easy for me. I have a big black hairy crab and he seems to be very smart.

Unfortunately, he is living in a piece of rock that has to be about 5 pounds, and is burried in the tank. I would have to rip the whole tank apart and I am certain that he would relocate quickly if I tried to grab that rock.

I would have to destroy the tank.

We did use that method for a mantis that we had though.

Ooh that stinks, We try to keep the rocks as separate as we can for now but once it gets fuller we will start running into the same problem. I wish you the best of luck getting your new hairy friend out of the tank!!!!

I have a HP photosmart but the pics I posted using my cell phone (droid). I did get a couple from a video it still doesnt look the best.

I actually thought of feeding the mantis it but being soooo tiny i just couldnt do it yet. I did feed him a guppy but he only ate the head lol. Im hoping he will be ok on frozen foods for now he seems to like mysis but probably not for long once he grows some i will have to get used to feeding him live foods.
you don't ever have to feed it live food if you don't want to.

So he can survive on frozen as long as I can get him to keep eating it? Thats great!! I really do enjoy watching him I just dont have the heart to feed live. Even just holding larger food pieces in his homes openings and watching him get ticked off and attacking it, its really cool to watch. Thank You for letting me that, im even more excited about him now!!!!!

I know right!

I just tried the ziplock, it didn't work too well. I put my phone case inside (not the phone) and when I took it out it was wet.

If you get one before I do let me know how it works.

Lol thanks now I dont have to try the bag thing. Definitely gonna get 1 probably order it this weekend!! I will let you know how it works out!! Thanks again for the link!!!

To take photos through glass either turn the flash off (and hope your camera compensates - or - if you can select shutter speed put anything around 1/25) or simply take the photo with flash, but at an angle to the glass rather than straight on, the flash will still penetrate the tank but the light bouncing off the glass will rebound to the side of the camera rather than into it.

Back
Top Bottom