Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy

Maybe in California 8O

38 gal SW, CC, 40lbs base rock, 5lbs live, emporer 280, bio-wheel 330,tronic heater, 2 O. clowns, 1 firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by skennelly
Actually distilled water is as good as RO water if not better. Anybody who argues that, doesn't really understand distillation. Scientists prefer distilled water because of the natural methods of obtaining it. RO requires the use of artificial membranes and resins to remove impurities. There are arguments that distilled water isn't completely pure because the metal containers that are used to make it leach metals into the water, but that can also be said for the containers that we store our RO water in also.

I would say RO is definitely the cheaper router as far as reef aquarium goes. I myself prefered to purchase a RO unit for $69.00 off of Ebay rather then purchasing bottles from the store. Its saves the countless trips and I have pretty close to pure water at my fingertips.

my .02
actually distilled water is not as pure (depending on the distillation process) as ro/di water as hydrocarbons or voc, (volatile organic compound) can be found in distilled. as well as other chemicals that have a boiling temp at or below waters boiling temp. there are voc filters available but carbon will remove most when not at extreme levels. but for the most part distilled water is pretty **** pure.

Want stats on tank? check my profile.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by JG
There is some new data that suggests that some of the chemicals which leach out of plastics are causing health issues.
Yes and one of the plastics we should avoid reusing is plastic water bottles. They are suppose to be okay the first time. So all those refilling your bottled water beware.
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by Jonathan G.
lol its funny you say this cause i was arguing with this girl at work that swears chemicals leached out of plastic over time makes people or gives them homosexual tendencies.
I don't know about this, but there are studies which link these chemical ( Phthalates) to birth defects of the male reproductive organs.

I have even seen reference to a decrease in the numbers of male fish due to chemicals leaching into the environment.

There is still much controversy.

As for reusing bottles - that is mostly out of concern for bacterial growth - YUMMY !. You are only supposed to reuse them once or twice.

JG is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com