Easy saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aoplayo

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some easy salt water tank setups? I have a thirty gallon and i want some salt water but i need it to be relatively easy.

There is no such thing as easy in SW.. You need to be able to take care of the tank daily with a tank that small. that means water top offs, monthly or bi weekly water changes, mixing water at least 24 hours before using it. And the list goes on..
So do some research before you jump into the hobby.
Also its not a cheap hobby

If your looking for easy go into fresh water tropical..

Oh i know about all of that. I was just thinking of a relatively easy tank. I already have fresh water tanks and i want to get salt. I don't care if i have to do that. I might just have live rock in a tank. I don't want an extremly hard tank with just hard to take care of fish and stuff. Just a tank that is easy in saltwater terms because matinence doesn't bother me.

I second that. Probably your best bet would be to read some of the articles on this site. That would help you the most

I was just thinking of keeping LR with some ananemoes. what would i need for that? Would i need fish to keep up a bio-load?

Like Brenden says mature tank and a lagrer system is a good idea. In small tanks things can go bad fast because of the small water volume. Anemones are delicate creatures and need mature tanks (9-12 months) You need a higher output light source and IMO you should look at a 35-55 gal if you thinking anemone. The larger the tank the easier it is if your new to SW. Do some reading on them..

You need atleast a 175w metal halide fixture if you plan on keeping an anemone and a mature tank. If you do a search you can findout everything you need to know.

aoplayo said:
I was just thinking of keeping LR with some ananemoes. what would i need for that? Would i need fish to keep up a bio-load?

Amazing how fast this hobby goes from "easy" to "difficult" with one sentence :)

Read on my friend!

I co-sign with others as this hobby is not cheap nor easy. I have spent thousands of dollars on my 29g. I don't have any anemones or coral, but I do have LR with lots of macro-algae. In a smaller tank it requires more maintenance and much more attention to detail.

Back
Top Bottom