Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow.. I would jump at the chance to attend that! 8O

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenor33
don't alk and PH go up and down together?
Not as you might think. Alkalinity and pH are definately linked chemically but one does not really control the other. Think of it more as a dependancey than control if that makes sense.

See what you make of this article:
The Relationship Between Alkalinity and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks alot steve, was confused 8O
Old 07-26-2004, 12:31 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I was not able to make it to the seminar Had to go see Thomas the Train instead

Anyway, I tested my CA and Alk last night. CA should be 390 or so. (Test kit is Seachem and volume left in the dropper was .22). ALK is 2.5 meg/L. This seems to be in line. CA is higher than I expected since I use IO and I have heard IO is low on CA.

I assume with SPS's, the CA/Alk will get used up but with just a couple frags, will my levels be ok with just water changes or should I try and get the CA up above 400?
Old 07-26-2004, 01:59 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Anyway, I tested my CA and Alk last night. CA should be 390 or so. (Test kit is Seachem and volume left in the dropper was .22). ALK is 2.5 meg/L. This seems to be in line. CA is higher than I expected since I use IO and I have heard IO is low on CA.
If your basing the balance off the alk then yes the Ca is a tad low but nothing I'd go nuts about. Just eek the Ca up a bit each time you make additions or correct the saltmix first. It's really not that off though.

Quote:
I assume with SPS's, the CA/Alk will get used up but with just a couple frags, will my levels be ok with just water changes or should I try and get the CA up above 400?
It really depends on the growth rate and amount of corals. Sometimes water changes will keep up but as you add more corals and the ones you keep get larger, the demand will definately grow as well. In the beginning at least the water changes should help but I would definately look into a 2 part liq additive or kalkwasser to keep up with higher daily demands. Doing water changes more than weekly can be a rather large pain in the .....

As you add scleractinian corals, keep a written log and test every few days for the alk and Ca. This will give you an idea of the rate of depletion and help you decide what would be easiest to maintain them.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com