Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Easy SPS's

Is there such a thing? I am acclimating my current softies and LPS's with my new MH setup and I wanted to start researching SPS's. Are there any that are good for starting out? My tank had been up for a year and I put the MH setup on in hopes of getting some SPS's and maybe a clam.

Any ideas?

Old 07-23-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The montipora family is one of the easier ones to keep I would start there.

Montipora digitata, Monti-cap...several nice ones out there.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
steve-s

There are actually quite a few "easy" SPS or at least not so difficult species

Before you move onto those though I would be sure you have a good grasp on your tanks chemistry. Monitoring regularly and have thought out a good maintenance routine for dosing alk/Ca. Once you start adding a decent amount of scleractinians, the demand on the CaCO3 will shoot up quite a bit.

That said though I would look into types like Montipora, Pocillopora, Porites, Pavona, Stylophora and the like. For the first while anyway I would avoid Acroporids. They can be a bit more challenging but given the right equipment set up and proper tank maintenance should give you no more trouble than any other coral.

One thing to be cautious of when adding new stonies to the tank is start them out as low in the tank as possible for the first few days-week. They need to light acclimate as much as to the water chem. If placed to high in the tank too quickly it can cause bleaching. After a short time period you can then inch them up every few days until they are in a good spot and can be secured with epoxy of cyanoacrylate based super glue gel or both.

If your going to keep a mixture of coral types ie... soft, LPS and SPS; I would be sure to use carbon as often as possible or 24/7. It will help remove any nematocyst or other chems given off by corals when they are looking for "growing room" or something has gotten too close. It will help avoid RTN.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks steve and squishy!

I have some pickling lime on hand and have looked into dosing calcium but have not done it yet. Based on the charts I have seen the CA and ALK seem in balance but CA is a bit on the low side. Was 375-400 last time I checked. I will check both tonight and see how it comes up. I did a water change last night so it should be at it highest right now. I use IO salt right now so I anticipate having to use kalk.

Do most start with frags? Seems like e-tropical have some SPS ranging from $20-35 for 1.5" - 2.5" ORA frags. Is this typical size and price? I have a LFS that sells lots of corals, so I will check there first.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
steve-s

The important part of maintaining the chem is not so much the levels you keep but rather the balance between the two. As long as the alk/Ca is kept within the range or NSW it will be just fine. Keeping the chem higher than NSW has very little benefit in a matured tank.

If you can find TR frags they will be much hardier than WC colonies as well as being ecologicaly friendly. Personally I prefer frags over even TR colonies. It allows for the coral to grow into a certain area rather than moving things about to accomidate a large chuck of coral. It will also allow for more diversity.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Seem like I have read that most try to get CA in the 450 range. How low is ok as long as alk is balanced? Would a CA of 350 with a balanced ALK still be ok?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
steve-s

350 ppm Ca is on the low side and could lead to problems. Try to keep the Ca in the 380-420 ppm range with a balanced alk. Having the Ca as high as 450 ppm will not do anything as far as increased coral growth or health. They will deposit the same amount of CaCO3 as with lower levels. I would also suggest keeping tabs on the Mg at least monthly depending on what CaCO3 suppliment you end up choosing. Mg should be 3x the Ca level to help maintain the alk/Ca balance.

Just remember when looking for balanced numbers, don't kill yourself trying to get it exact. Just be in a general range of what's recommended and you will be just fine.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Steve-s has again shown his knowledge to be expert and exact. Kudos to you steve. I was going to suggest something very similar only much less eloquent. The advice of trying not to kill yourself to be exact is probably the best I've read. Always try but don't kill yourself as trying to make changes to correct a minor deficeincy can cause swings in another areas. Consistancy and subtle with any changes are best.

To touch on the prices of things; keep in mind local trades are great. Local clubs are a good way to do this. Also, IMO local prices and even online prices are still a bit on the high side for my taste depending on the coral. I'll talk with you more privately on local ways to keep more money in your wallet.

R-
Old 07-23-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

don't alk and PH go up and down together?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Steve-s has again shown his knowledge to be expert and exact. Kudos to you steve.
Heck, I should be giving him kudos. Steve is always helpful to me. Definately an asset of AA.com

Thanks steve.

Sumphead aint bad either

If only I had some locals to to get in touch with. There is a Louisville Marine Society that is having a conference/seminar this month with Anthony Calfo, Steve Pro and Morgan Lidster. It is $50 a head and I am not sure what will be discussed. Supposed to have a frag workshop Not sure if I will go though.

Mike

Tags
sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com