Eaten ricordia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I found that my ricorida has been ripped to shreads. Only half of it is left. I have nothing in the tank that could harm it except I have recently added a peppermint shrimp. I know these are reef safe and that somethimes they can be mistaken for camel shrimp but I know for sure mine is a peppermint shrimp( LFS sells both and I know what a camel looks like) I have been searching online and have found that other people claim peppermint shrimp have eaten some of their corals as well. My main question is: Are peppermint shrimp really reef safe? And if so what took care of my ricordia? Also how destroyed can a coral be and it still bounce back? Id say its about 3/4ths gone but its only the tentacles that it ate. (I can post a picture if needed)

I had something similar happen and it ended up being a small red-eye reef crab that came along in my tank as a hitchhiker that ate it. The crab had ripped mine from the rock and destroyed it.

I would keep an eye out when it's dark.

Eh I dont know. I watch the tank at night quite a bit and the ricordia has been there for a pretty long time. Just seems odd that the day after I add a peppermint the ricordia gets eaten. I think it was the pep. Also this attack happened in the day time.

My pep went rogue. Ate an acan and a plate coral before I got it out. He also ate my giant oyster. Took 6 weeks to get it out. He only ate my favorites. How did he know?

Put a glass cup in your tank(when the lights go out) with abit of meaty food (Squid, White bait, Something smelly) Then in the morning when you wake up, You may have a crab in the glass.

Make sure the cup is agaisnt a rock that it can climb into. it wont be able to get out as it cannot grip onto the glass.

Put a glass cup in your tank(when the lights go out) with abit of meaty food (Squid, White bait, Something smelly) Then in the morning when you wake up, You may have a crab in the glass.

Make sure the cup is agaisnt a rock that it can climb into. it wont be able to get out as it cannot grip onto the glass.

This is exactly how I got the red-eye reef crab out of my tank. I was lucky and knew where he was hiding so I put the glass right there. It only took about three hours before I had him. Now he lives in my sump.

The technique works, but you may need some patience.

Back
Top Bottom