ebay reef LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madcrazyroyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at options for new reef lighting. Then my eyes were opened on ebay from a random search into thoes chinese reef LEDs. My question here is, do thoes leds really work? And if they do, how powerful are they? And is it better to get the blue and white or thoes "full spectrum" models? These are the ones on ebay popping up at 120 watts at 3 watt leds that run on 2 watts a piece. Most of you guys know exactly what I'm talking about.

People that have them in the forums rave about how much they like them. They are very strong and easily burn corals if not acclimated to them. If there had been more info on them when I upgraded lighting they would be what is be using.

Look for the thread "Lighting your reef...best bang for your buck" . The TaoTronic units seem to have great reviews here.

As for the full spectrum or straight blue/white, it's personal preference. Both color up and grow corals nicely. I prefer the straight blue/white.

As for the full spectrum or straight blue/white, it's personal preference. Both color up and grow corals nicely. I prefer the straight blue/white.

And I have come to like the full spectrum. Having both, the corals don't seem to care.

They work great, my SPS are growing like crazy and the rest of my coral are happy happy happy. You do have to be careful where you place things though, some lower light coral (blasto's, lobo, mushroom...) can react poorly under them. I've had to partially shade my mushrooms and lobos. Other than that I don't regret getting them one bit, they are great fixtures for the money. We'll see how long they last though, sometimes you get what you pay for...

We'll see how long they last though, sometimes you get what you pay for...

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not planning on adding corals for another 5 or 6 months, so I will follow the other thread intently to see what the reliability looks like.

I read some reviews that some people believe the sps corals are not as deep with color compared to mh, is that true?

I have about 30 of these Chinese panels running for close to 2 years. Have lost one panel and two drivers. They are pretty primitive inside, but work fine. At what they cost, I consider them expendable if they last at least 5 years. I even noticed the guys on the show Tanked use them in their holding facility. They have what looks like 20 of them hanging about 36" above the tanks.

My business imports high power led lighting for emergency vehicles. They are a bargain, but we found in quantity, you need spare parts.

I read some reviews that some people believe the sps corals are not as deep with color compared to mh, is that true?
Not true. It's all a matter or proper acclimation. People are bleaching their sps with these thinking they are comparable. My sps took a while to get used to the light, but now they are as colorful as I've ever seen them under any lighting.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not planning on adding corals for another 5 or 6 months, so I will follow the other thread intently to see what the reliability looks like.
You have no problem buying Chinese flat screen tv's and refrigerators, but why is everyone so spooked about Chinese lighting?

Okay perfect... What percent are your lights on X? Plus how high up from the tank are they?

Most of mine over the main tank were the first generation non-dimmable models, so I would say-100%. They are currently 8" above the water of my 25" deep tank.

Tell me what you guys think of this.

Ok. So I am in the middle of doing a 125g fowler with fish tank and I am going to have 3 watt LEDs on the tank. Here is way I have for the tank now.

Look at this on eBay:

EVO 72" LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef FOWLR Cichlid 52x 3W 3 Watt Lunar

http://bit.ly/Rc1Qvn

Now I want to have the lighting storm and cloud coverage with the tank but i do not have 500+ to spend on that sort of extra lighting. I was thinking of doing this. With my already existing lighting so I can just get the effect of the storms and such. Here is the item. I know it will not support any life other then a fish only tank but I do have my regular 3watt LEDs on. Let me know what you think.

Look at this on eBay:

Current USA Satellite LED FRESHWATER FIXTURE. Free Shipping!

http://bit.ly/14bG6CW

Keeping the blue leds always on, as in the link, is not a good idea. Fish need a night time. You could put both the whites and blues on separate timers though.
Meanwhile, it's still not going to have lightening storm effects.
also, there aren't enough 3 watt LEDs in that fixture to support photosynthetic creatures in a 6' tank. It will be fine for fish and rock though.

Keeping the blue leds always on, as in the link, is not a good idea. Fish need a night time. You could put both the whites and blues on separate timers though.
Meanwhile, it's still not going to have lightening storm effects.
also, there aren't enough 3 watt LEDs in that fixture to support photosynthetic creatures in a 6' tank. It will be fine for fish and rock though.

So what not too expensive led fixture would you recommend for the tank. Dimensions are 72"x18"x24. I am going to be doing live rock and fowler.? Or should I just get a t5 with led blues?

Back
Top Bottom