Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2004, 05:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The filters are standard size. So I think that any filter will work, but I am sure that there will always be filters available since it is made by Honeywell.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I too have the AquaSafe RO/DI system I purchased on eBay. it is a great system. My dad even purchased one a couple months after I did. So far I have only used it for drinking water and the ice maker, but plan to use it for my new saltwater take I'll be setting up starting next week.

As for filters, it uses standard 10" filters that can be purchased from AquaSafe or hundreds on on-line sites. You can also find them at your local Lowe's or Home Depot. RO filters (the RO membrane part) usually last about 5-6 years. They can be replaced, but at the low prices you can get systems on eBay for, it's probably just as cheap to buy a whole new system in 5 years or so.

I've had mine running for 8 months now and have not needed to change the filters. I purchase a TDS meter when I bought the system and tap tested at around 200 TDS, filtered water went down to 0 TDS with a fews days after installing the new system. It is still in the 0 - 5 TDS range, so there is no plan to change the filters at the moment. I'm sure the new saltwater tank will take it's toll on the filters and I will need to change them soon.

The AquaSafe is a great system at a great price. Most of the systems are basically the same, so it really doesn't matter which one you buy, just get a good price. AquaSafe offered a good install manual and FAQ, with some good humor thrown in. I recommend the company and the system.

Kurt

Old 06-09-2004, 01:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am very happy with my ebay unit... see here for more info: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...053&highlight=
Old 06-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFEdaddy2k
RO filters (the RO membrane part) usually last about 5-6 years.
I think 1-2 years (depending on tap water quality) is a much more probable estimate.

Oh and welcome to AA

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
I think 1-2 years (depending on tap water quality) is a much more probable estimate.
It depends on water quality and the amount of water you run through it. Obviously, the more water you filter (bigger aquarium) the less time the membrane will last. Some of the filter systems, AquaSafe I know for sure, have a valve that when switched over allows you to "back-flush" the membrane periodically. This extends the life of the membrane.

Another thing that will extend the life of the membrane is good quality pre-filters. Most systems have 3 filtration steps before the membrane. Keeping these pre-filters changed on a regular basis will extend the life of the RO membrane as well. I don't think 5 years is an unrealistic time frame at all.

Kurt
Old 06-09-2004, 02:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
I own a Kinetico 3 stage RO filter, it has an automatic TDS meter that actually tells you when the cartridges are exhausted and the TDS increase. If you go to their website, they have a ten gallon storage tank for larger families. I use that and its perfect for my 30 gallon tank.

P-MAN

Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com