Echidna xanthospilos (skeletor eel)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found this new species of eel today. It is called a "skeletor eel" and the scientific name is Echidna xanthospilos it seems to be about the same as a snowflake eel (only smaller)...I need basic care information on it.It's tankmates will be:1 antenna lionfish, 1 snowflake eel and an engineer goby.It will be in a 55 gallon with some fake sewer pipes,sand and coral.Here are some pictures of the "skeletor eel" that i found.

Attachments

• skeletoreel2.gif
    skeletoreel2.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,003
  • skeletoreel1.jpg
    skeletoreel1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,509
No info on the skeletor eel but panther groupers get massive and need much larger than a 55. The black/blue ribbon eels don't eat in captivity. They tend o waste away. Not something that should be kept in captivity IMO. You are already gonna have a huge bioload with 2 eels, a lion and engineer goby I wouldn't put anything else in there. I'd probably skip one of the eels as well. Skeletons seem to be up there in price from my limited research on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2 Eels seems like a recipe for disaster.

I think you need to slow down and do some research. You are just throwing every fish that catches your eye into this future tank without researching requirements.

It's great you are asking questions before you buy.
But if you keep reading yourself, you can also ask better questions and you won't constantly see "No, those fish won't work ".

It's really sad when the Ribbon Eels die. I worked in a store that tried selling them. They would NOT sell fish until they had them 2-4 weeks and got them eating.

We stopped selling Ribbon Eels quickly.

Google is your friend, we are here to help as well.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Panther Grouper tank size

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+32+154&pcatid=154

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i will not be getting the skeleton eel right away (they are 150$).But, the first fish in the tank will be the snowflake.I will try my BEST to keep a ribbon (i have a lot of experience on eel like fish).Wish me luck on that tank!
Ps:no panther grouper.

Now you are saying 3 Eels ?? Are you high ??

No I won't wish you luck.
Because most ribbon eels do not live longer than a month in captivity, some feel that this species should never be purchased except for people with experience in keeping morays in captivity.

Ribbon Eels live 20+ years in the Wild. At most they may survive a year or 2 in a tank, IF you get them to eat !

That's just a waste of a beautiful animal.

FW Eels and SW are NOT the same.

i will not be getting the skeleton eel right away (they are 150$).But, the first fish in the tank will be the snowflake.I will try my BEST to keep a ribbon (i have a lot of experience on eel like fish).Wish me luck on that tank!

pssst;
I'll let you in on a secret, moray eels and ribbon eels are NOT the same as "eel like fish", not even close for comparison.

please heed the advice already given the other day, research, research, and then research some more. (y)

Because most ribbon eels do not live longer than a month in captivity, some feel that this species should never be purchased except for people with experience in keeping morays in captivity.

Ribbon Eels live 20+ years in the Wild. At most they may survive a year or 2 in a tank, IF you get them to eat !

+ infinity
Glad to hear you're willing to buy an animal that has a tiny chance of survival because you can keep fw eels. Whole different ball game. 2 eels is to much for a 55, adding a 3rd is asking for a nightmare. Do you have any experience with sw at all??? Any idea how to setup filtration for this tank? This is a nightmare waiting to happen. Please take a step back and actually think about what you're doing before you buy any of these beautiful animals. You keep saying you have a ton of experience with FW animals but 0 with sw. It is a whole different ball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please take the advice and don't get the eel. It is extremely selfish to know that a fish will 90% not survive and 100% live an extremely short life compared to their wild counterparts and still purchase it for your own novelty.

I have only seen two ribbon eels actually eat in captivity.
One was very young and took to eating guppies after about 3 weeks of literally holding a guppy with tweezers directly in front of it's mouth.
The other was an adult and starving and the owner did something rather drastic, force fed it by jamming fish into it's mouth. After a few times it began to eat.
but even so, neither lived over a year.

Saw many more die though...:(

Ok... maybe just the snowflake...

Lions are the oscars of the salt water world because they are seriously messy eaters. With just the lionfish and snowflake you would be maxing out the bio load of the tank. I would honestly leave it at that.

I believe some animals just aren't meant for captivity. The ribbon eel is one of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom