echunaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love the orange linkia starfish, I noticed that they have some at liveaquaria.com. (aka echunaster) I have a crocea clam and I was wondering if the two were compatable. Does anyone know? :lol:

Using the keyboard

PC
control-c = copy
control-v = paste

Mac (command is the apple key)
command-c = copy
command-v = paste

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=581

Here it is. I do realize what live aquaria says, but I was leaning towards this one because it is easy to maintain and it stays pretty small. I know that live aquaria rates the blue linka as difficult, so I do not always agree with their ratings. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion.

If the orange is out of the question, what do you think of a purple? I saw they had them on sale at Jeff's exotics. It does not provide much info as to care except to say "reef safe".

I am excited to know how to post a link now. Thank you for your help!

The thing about these stars is feeding them, you gotta know what they eat. It looks like a linckia to me, and linckias eat bacteria and bacterial slime, they need a tank of no less than 100g full of mature LR. If you can provide this, one star should do fine after proper acclimation.

I know they are picky about acclimation, what method exactly do you recommend? I am going to order him soon, but I do not want to do it yet until I know exactly how to do it. 8O

I know they are picky about acclimation, what method exactly do you recommend?

I would recommend a slow drip, there are instructions in the articles section on acclimation. Since you are wanting to do a slow drip 4-6 hours, you'll want to use an airline valve to adjust drip rate rather than a knot in the tubing.

As stated acclimation is key. IMO a slow drip acclimation of 6-8+ hours is a good idea. The only bad thing is you don't know how the supplier acclimated them and shipping these stars can be touchy. I received a blue and marron from fishsupply a month or so back and even after drip acclimation of 8 hours the blue one dissolved to much in a little over a week. IMO it's the luck of the draw with these stars.

Since this star is not a linkia, does it have the same requirements as one? I would think that since this star grows to about 3", it could be housed in a smaller tank that is loaded with mature live rock. Unless my logic is off, I would think that a star that is 1/4 of the size would, at most, eat half of what the larger linkia would.

Just a thought
Jim

Since this star is not a linkia, does it have the same requirements as one? I would think that since this star grows to about 3", it could be housed in a smaller tank that is loaded with mature live rock. Unless my logic is off, I would think that a star that is 1/4 of the size would, at most, eat half of what the larger linkia would.

This is true. The thing to do is verify what LiveAquaria has stated through other sources. They are often wrong in their IDs and in their care requirements.

Back
Top Bottom