Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ecotech radions vs ecoxotic panorama pro fixtures

I know the radions offer more options for adjusting lights, but do they still put out the same light both at 100%.im looking at saving money for a vortech pump.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The radions put out about a 120w and 7 12" panorama pro's would be the same price and put out around 133w, the 12" panoramas are 19w each. I would just get a radion to work with the vortech pumps.
The panorama pro fixture that is around 400 only has 3 x 19w strips so about half the price and half as powerful as a radion.
There is also a 5 strip fixture for $500, that would be 95w so close, but dollar per watt the panoramas and radions are about the same

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I contemplated the exact same thing. I was just about to order the panorama pro 5 light and decided on the Radions instead. If your saving for a correct pump, the Radion offers the ability to,sync them up. Also, those are both super powerful lights and I am still running at 20%. I felt the Radion offered a larger spread of light as I have a 54g corner tank, which is far from the norm. I have lower light corals in the corners and my higher light ones in the middle. My low light fox coral has been doing great!

Good luck
Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK so I'm mixing it up. Its berltween those fixtures and the AI sols.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Sol's r cheaper. Very good lights. As u stated, they don't have nearly as many options but they r about $300 cheaper than the Radions. I love my Radions but other people I know love their Sol's
Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

One other thing while I'm thinking about it. For the life of me, I can't understand why people invest so much money in Radions only to run them at such low intensities. Such a waste of money. I have my Vortechs synced with the Radions but these suckers ain't cheap either. There r so many cost effective alternatives that throwing down an extra 4 or 5 hundy for the combo ur wanting verses a perfect alternative doesn't make a lick of sense
Old 07-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabs
One other thing while I'm thinking about it. For the life of me, I can't understand why people invest so much money in Radions only to run them at such low intensities. Such a waste of money. I have my Vortechs synced with the Radions but these suckers ain't cheap either. There r so many cost effective alternatives that throwing down an extra 4 or 5 hundy for the combo ur wanting verses a perfect alternative doesn't make a lick of sense
That's one reason I'm looking at the AI sols. They are cheaper. I know I won't be using them 100% for a long time just to get corals acclimated. Does anyone know if the AI slow have a spotlight affect. Also how many would I need to cover my 36" tank?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to bump up the intensity on mine this weekend, but wanted to start slow as I know the lighting at the Lfs where I get my corals is no where near as intense as a Radions. I originally had them at 40%, but they weren't doing as well so I dialed down and will climb slowly. I am sure if I did go with the AI Sol's , I would have happy as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #9

Don't get me wrong. The Radion worked perfectly for my tank. I have a Corals display tank that is 24"x 24" x 12". The light perimeter when hanging 10" above the surface is identical to the tanks dimensions. But anymore than 50% intensity starts bleaching corals. If I ever decide to go with a deeper tank, then the extra intensity will come in handy. But I read about people who run anywhere fm 10 - 20% intensity and I'm thinking, buy some stunner strips and save urself $400 or more. I was kinda experimenting when I bought mine. I couldn't get a straight answer fm anybody. Everyone was claiming that there wasn't enough info. on growth to waste money on LED's. I assure anyone interested in LED's. There's enough light for any coral, clams, etc. and Sol's don't appear to have the spotlight effect u were wondering about. My LFS uses them above his coral display tank. He runs his at 90% actinic and 50% white. $300 cheaper than the Radions
Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok great, how many would I need to cover my 36" long tank.

Tags
ecotech, fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com