Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips

I was going to get a 453nm blue to suppliment my marineland "reef capable" light just to really bring out the colors of the greens. will there be any other benefits of adding this little strip because i cant seem to find a par reading or anything. Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't believe they are much besides fancy lights. go for the panorama pro modules

Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The ratio we go with on our panels is 50% 450nm blue LEDs and 50% 12k LEDs. You need more blue light than you think.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i wanted more blue to really make the colors pop the marineland only offers the model i have with like 4. i was kinda looking for a more economical supplement to my 453nm blue
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz
yeah i wanted more blue to really make the colors pop the marineland only offers the model i have with like 4. i was kinda looking for a more economical supplement to my 453nm blue
It's important for more than corals glowing, some of the corals photosynthetic activity happens in this band as well. LEDs are pretty narrow spectrum while MH makes infra red and UV light, so with the LEDs you need to be sure to have the blue part of the spectrum covered.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
I don't believe they are much besides fancy lights. go for the panorama pro modules
There are as many as two dozen manufacturers of panels now, some Do it Yourself. Look for panels that have good cooling systems as that controls how long the emitters last. Higher wattage means more heat to dissipate in the fixture. Nothing wrong with 1, 2 or 3 watt emitters as they are generally the same part, just driven with a higher current. Cree emitters in the 6 watt range are also popular. New multi-led chips in 10-100 watt range are now out, but they should have supplemental blue spectrum support as they are rated at 6000K.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
I actually have two to grow corals in my tank and they are working wonders. Believe it or not, the panorama modules are made up if Eco exotic pro modules and stunner strips
Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

I actually have two to grow corals in my tank and they are working wonders. Believe it or not, the panorama modules are made up if Eco exotic pro modules and stunner strips
More success stories about LEDs now a days. The technology is maturing nicely and will eventually outrun MH and fluorescents by a sizable margin.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
There are as many as two dozen manufacturers of panels now, some Do it Yourself. Look for panels that have good cooling systems as that controls how long the emitters last. Higher wattage means more heat to dissipate in the fixture. Nothing wrong with 1, 2 or 3 watt emitters as they are generally the same part, just driven with a higher current. Cree emitters in the 6 watt range are also popular. New multi-led chips in 10-100 watt range are now out, but they should have supplemental blue spectrum support as they are rated at 6000K.
the only reason i stated make the colors pop is because i am currently and successfully growing corals that require low - moderate light which is basically all the marine reef capable light puts out. but would like to add for aesthetic purposes a little more blue to the tank and i was curious if there would be any benefit to supplementing my light with the stunner strip cause i could not find any of the readings i was looking for i.e the par
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz

the only reason i stated make the colors pop is because i am currently and successfully growing corals that require low - moderate light which is basically all the marine reef capable light puts out. but would like to add for aesthetic purposes a little more blue to the tank and i was curious if there would be any benefit to supplementing my light with the stunner strip cause i could not find any of the readings i was looking for i.e the par
What size tank do you have?

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com