Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Ghettopunch187
Eel question

I just bought a snowflake eel today, he is about 10" long, looks extremly healthy, and meaner than anything ive ever seen (bit the guy tryin to catch him at the store twice). Well the guy at the pet store said to feed him brine shrimp. However this does not seem likely to me. Should i start trying to feed him other things, or should i just see about the brine shrimp?

Old 07-26-2003, 07:33 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

First, to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Quote:
Well the guy at the pet store said to feed him brine shrimp.
Brine shrimp is way to small to interest the eel, brine shrimp is also not very nutritious for your fish

I would start with, squid, scallops and/or krill. Larger meatier foods that the eel is accustomed too

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:54 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
i will also point out that that is not the normal temperament for a snowflake eel. Maybe he was mishandled or just frightened from being caught. Hopefully he will settle down some.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #4

ok, when i got up this morning he was swimming from the bottom of the tank to the top, so i figured this might be his sign for feed me. I defrosted some of the brine shrimp i bought and put it into the tank. It looks like he might be grabbing up some pieces off of the floor. Should i turn off my powerheads when i feed him brine shrimp though? I hear they have horrible vision and i dont want my eel to starve just because he cant get to the food on time.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettopunch187
ok, when i got up this morning he was swimming from the bottom of the tank to the top, so i figured this might be his sign for feed me. I defrosted some of the brine shrimp i bought and put it into the tank. It looks like he might be grabbing up some pieces off of the floor. Should i turn off my powerheads when i feed him brine shrimp though? I hear they have horrible vision and i dont want my eel to starve just because he cant get to the food on time.
You should not feed the eel brine shrimp. As reefrunner pointed out they will ignore it as the brine is to small to be of interest. If you keep attempting to feed with the brine it will just polute the tank.

Raw seafoods like squid, shrimp, scallops and other shell removed larger meaty items are best. Cut to a similar size as the eels mouth. You will need to puchase a feeding stick so the food can be placed effectively in front of the eel. It will not have a very good chance at finding it free floating.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #6

eel

i bought some of the little shrimp that you use in salads and he at half of one, but wont eat anymore. Is he full, doesnt like them etc? And what is the best way about feeding him. Do i put it right in front of him or what?
Old 07-27-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
my thoughts are that even a half of a little shrimp is more than what he is used to getting from the LFS. I would say a half a shrimp is probably equal to at least 30
brine. They do not have very good eyesight. We put it right in front of the nose.

Make sure you take out any uneaten foods.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:20 PM   #8
steve-s

Re: eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettopunch187
i bought some of the little shrimp that you use in salads and he at half of one, but wont eat anymore.
Is this cooked shrimp or raw?

The eel should only be fed raw seafoods, never cooked foods. It will not be able to properly digest them, not too mention being robbed of proper nitrition.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 12:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i used to have a snowflake eel...he would readily accept peeled raw shrimp as well as smelt and crayfish....would also accept feeder goldfish but i would not recommend feeding the eel feeder goldfish.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:20 AM   #10

Well he readily accepts the shrimp now, and i am only going to feed him every other day. He has calmed down quite a bit and made himself a nice little cave under the one piece of LR i have (i have other rock in there, he just likes that piece of LR). While the eel is a very interesting fish, i want to get another fish to add to the tank. I currently have one of those black and white striped damsels (who just hides behind the power head) and of course my eel. What would be a nice, colorful addition to the tank? I would like a fish who does not spend all of his time hiding or only comes out when its feeding time. I also want him to be hardy and easy to feed. My girlfriend wants to get a valenti pufferfish? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com