Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midol

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so i want to get an Eel soon... Advice on these types, which would you choose and exactly how big is 'Large'.

Eels
Snowflake Echidna Nebulosa Small $35.00 Bali
Zebra Gymnomuraena Zebra Sm - Med $100.00 Bali
Black Ribbon Rhinomuraena Quaesita Sm - Med $120.00 Bali
Blue Ribbon Rhinomuraena Quaesita Large $150.00 Vanuatu

From searching pictures i like to look of the Blue Ribbon one.

Anyone had experience with Eels, how hardy are they?

the ribbons are rated a 2 out of 5 in my book and it says they are hard to get to eat in an aquarium.
I have a SFE and they are easy to take care of and eat shrimp from my feeding tongs. The Zebra eel are similure to a SFE from what I have read.
Ribbon eels are cool looking but are not worth taking a chance on one.

I agree to pass on the ribbon eels. Snowflakes are nice and would be a good choice for a first eel. It stays small and fits well into a smaller system. The zebra can get over 4" and needs a large system (100+gals).

WOOHOO an eel lover..

First of all ribbon eels are a no no IMO. They are really hard to get to eat..due to their size, and are very fragile. Also the only in that i have seen that their fins seem to rot real easily unless water parameters are "PERFECT"

That leaves you with SFE and ZE

Snowflake vs Zebra

Eating:
They pretty much eat the same, this can be prawns, shellfish, scallops. I feed mine by hand but some people would rather use a feeding stick or tongs.

Size: Snowflakes grow to about 24 inches whilst the zebra about double that at 48 inches (SFE - 2ft max, ZE - 4ft max)

Tanks: A minimum 50gal for the snowflake and 100 for the zebra..
(yes if u see my profile my zebra is in a 40.. im upgrading to a new 100gal for him :))

Hardiness: Well lets talk about the ICH factor; their slimy mucus film protects them from the parasite so they are pretty hardy, but that doesnt mean they are invincible.

Eels in general produce alot of waste so a skimmer is needed, and 20-30% water changes at least twice a month if not more..

If you are anyway in the Sydney region your more then welcome to see my eels, i have a snowflake and zebra (20inch SFE and 36inch Zebra)

Hope we are some sort of help!!

Matt

Hmmmm, im in qld.

So, the ribbons are a no no unless i feel like wasting $150 which i don't.

My tank is a 75 Gal so the knocks out the zebra so looks like i shall get a snowflake.

Now, if i got lets say, 2 Eels would they be safe or kill each other? Also, a friend brother has some sort of Eel not sure what kind and he has PVC pipe in his tank for it to hide in... Is that recommended or will it just have fun in my liverock (Only like 30kg in there though)

2 snowflakes will be fine, some species dont mix well, but yeah the same breed should be fine.

PVC pipe is okay but tend to be used in QT situations, if you want to mimic there natural habitat as much as possible i'd get another 40-50kg of live rock. Snowflakes like to dig burrows under rocks and what not. But PVC is the cost effective way to produce a hiding spot so to speak. If your happy with the PVC pipe go with it.. IMO i'd rather spend some money on more rock..

post pics when ur done!!

good luck

if your thinking about adding 2 eels them you should get more lr first.. You want good filtration with 2 large waste producing animals.
If you do get 2 add them at the same time and try and get them the same size. SFE have been know to kill each other if there is one already established in the tank.
The book I have says a 55 is the min for a Zebra eel.

theres so many different min gallon requirement opinions.. no one knows what to believe..

IMO the most important tank requirement is length..even more so than gallons..

80% they stay in one spot.. but they do need to "stretch"

the tank should be long enough so the eel can lay out..

Back
Top Bottom