Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Eels....

This may seem like a stupid question but do you quarantine eels?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2005, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't worry about eels as they aren't susceptable to most parasitic infections as they are scaleless.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

wath kinda eel you getting
Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dragon Moray....just kidding and I wish. I'm thinking about getting the snowflak eel. Any other ideas?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
i have a snowflake eel he is great, spends most of the day in his hole (make sure he has plenty of hiding places) and comes out and does a few laps every night before we feed him. He is very placid and isnt interested in my fish i have had him since last christmas and i have not lost a fish so i believe he doesnt like them. My blue tang actually teases him she plays dead in front of him when he comes out, lol. I like the zebra moray also, good luck.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good to hear about your snowflake. Hopefully, you won't mind if I ask you some questions about him.

1. How often do you feed him?
2. What do you feed him?
3. How do you feed him (on a stick or by hand)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Howdy,

So you've decided to take the plunge.

Eels make an exciting tankmate to reef or FO tanks. I have both zebras and snowflakes and have kept these for many years.

1. How often do you feed him?
Eels can be fed 2-3 times a week. I feed mine every 2-3 days.
2. What do you feed him?
Raw shrimp, scallops, you can also feed silversides but not as regularly as these contain alot of fatty oils.
3. How do you feed him (on a stick or by hand)? I feed mine by hand but its a personal preference or depends on the personality of the eel also.

Before you take the dive..

1 What size tank do you have? Gallons and length
2 How much LR?
3 Do you have a skimmer?

These couple will help determine the species of eel you can house

The snowflake is a great eel to start with.

You dont need to quarantine as far as ailments such as ich etc are concerned due to their thick mucus membrane coating their body, but I'd still consider QTing for a week or 2 to monitor eating habitats and physical abnormalities if any. PVC pipe will ensure they feel safe during the QT period. Under no circumstance use copper.

Matt
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i got a snowflake too, i feed hime about 4 times a week, mostly on krill and raw shrimp. He comes out on his own and eats so i dont really use a stick anymore. Using the stick in the beggining mite help him get used to the enviroment and enitce him to eat. Look at other eels before you get a snowflake. I got my snowflake and now want a blue ribbon eel. It is so nice for people who know what it is. Bright blue body with 2 bright yellow stripes!!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the help so far. It's great to have someone with experience giving the advice.

So I have a 72gal bowfront aquarium. It's 48 inches wide and has about 70lbs of live rock (30 in the sump and 40 in the tank). I've got an AquaC Urchin Pro skimmer (similar to the Remora Pro) and it's rated for tanks >90gallons.

What do you think are the possibilities for a tank this size? I've read that the eels can grow quite rapidly and can make a mess when it comes to excrement.

Cheers,
ctmedman
Old 10-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
That is plenty big imo. Don't flame me or anything but I have a sfe in my 29 with a cb and 2 damsels and my water is great. Everythign is healthy, even though he poops A LOT. Seriously they(poop) are like twice the size of rat turds. Make sure you have lots of lr. He has great personality and ate from my hand the third day that I got him. He awesome, but it will eat your inverts. MIne did.

Tags
eel, eels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com