Eels in a 30g....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think so. The snow flake eel is the smallest and they say 60 gallons for him

just curious....since eels seem to pick a hole and just peek their head out once in awhile and to feed....why would a larger tank be recommended? Is it because of the bioload? Thanks.

I have one and it is always swimming around and looking for new places to hide. They are really cool. It is in my 73 gallon. Its sometimes hard to find when I try to feed it.

Matt

what eel maxes out at 3-4"?

Good call on the golden but, I've found them very hard to find and at a high price when you do. Somewhere around 400.00 range. I found this site selling them. http://www.overnightfish.com/item--Banana-Eel-Brazil--F-EEL15.html and they say they are difficult to keep. Saltwaterfish.com has something called a banana eel for 199.00. I'm not sure it's the same eel since they don't give the scientific name. Also, the size they list is the shipping size, not the adult size.

There are a good number of dwarf morays that grow even at 8", but here are five that grow even less :D

Gymnothorax parini Under 3"
Anarchias leucurus 4"+
Scuticaria okinawae under 4"
Anarchias galapagensis 5"+
Anarchias allardicei 6"+
Eels over all are very hardy once they adapt to captivity, and the main key is their water quality and a nutritional diet over all. But perhaps you heard from time to time people lost their eel from ich :cry: This in most cases is because hobbyists over stock their tank with as many fish as they can put in their tanks :x Eels can and could become overly stress out from a crowded tank :x
Just for the fun of it, which moray you think is the longest of the species :?:
Buddy ><{{{{">

Ok, I did a search for the first two you have listed and decided I needed to go no farther. Although these are small species, they are not eels that would be readily available to the average hobbyist. So, the smallest, most commonly found eels would be something like the snowflake or the banded eels, both of which would be a bit much for a 30 gal tank.

You think that small list was useless :oops: Then i suggest you look over these and please not stop after just two 8O For i would had check out them all. But still in this selection, the Eels are just a bit larger and from this list, im too make a selection of another pair of dwarf Eels for my 240 reef tank and in doing so will make it that i would have four mating set of moray species (Eight Eels all together).
But maybe you can tell me which of this selection should i go with, and know this, when im set in getting any marine animal of my choosing, i will in time have that set. It all depends on who you know and the people who know that if they get them for you, you do all in the best interest for that species.

Gymnothorax melatremus 10.5"
Anarchias similis 8"
Gymnothorax robinsi 8.5"
Uropterygius makatei 9"
Gymnothorax fuscomaculatus 8"
Anarchias cantonensis 8"
Gymnothorax cephalospilus 8"
Monopenchelys acuta 8"
Gymnothorax atolli 8"
Anarchias allardicei 7.5"
Gymnothorax herrei 10.5"
Anarchias euryurus 10.5"
Gymnothorax castlei 9"
Gymnothorax marshallensis 8"+
Uropterygius genie 8"
Enchelycore nycturanus 9"

Now i already have me a pair of dwarf Golden Morays :) So i not want another set :wink:
I see you not commented any one, which Moray is the longest :D

Buddy ><{{{{">

I didn't mean that the list was useless and sorry if I came across harsh. I just meant for the average aquarist, these species are not available. And the ones that are come at a high price. I will gladly browse over your species list. I love eels but was trying to keep it real. Not everyone has the means or connections. I did go back and look at the rest when I had time and will certainly make time to look at these and post my thoughts. Good luck on your breeding project.

For right this moment im thinking in the Monopenchelys acuta (pair) 8". They appear in color as like a dirty brown or as their common name giving is as an orange Moray for they do appear as in color with both but solid orange around the head and neck area.
I see you still not commented on which moray species is the longest, any :idea:
Buddy ><{{{{">

So far I like the Scuticaria okinawae. I found alot of the species you have listed wouldn't come up in a general search. :?

As for the longest eel, the best I can come up with is Thyrsoidea macrurus at 11.5 feet long.

As for your choice the Scuticaria okinawae, it is a snake moray and i not had it on my selections :? For i know of that Eel and not wish to have it :eek: But as for the longest moray, why don`t you look up the Giant estuarine Moray and tell me what you see :p you be :eek:

Buddy ><{{{{">

I assumed you wanted me to look at all you had listed. :? As for the largest, what I see of the giant estuarine is that it grows only to around 10ft. :roll:

I assumed you wanted me to look at all you had listed

A number of that list i cannot find any photo to go with the name :oops: But as for the Giant estuarine Moray, it grows at a maximum length of 13' total :eek: Sorry, but it was only a trick question for i now that info is very little on a good many species :x

Buddy ><{{{{">

Hmmm. I guess it depends on what site you use. I don't get the trick question thing but, ok. Enjoy your eels and good luck to you.

I don't get the trick question thing but, ok.

Well not really that it is a trick question but rather not many know of that moray and you you wish for any type of confirmation of the species, you would have to email your question to the "NOAA" But know this, even within their library, info can be little on many species.
But if you seen a photo on some of the list i posted, it would help me further in my decision on which 4th pair of morays i would house :wink:

Here are few photos;

This image is the twin eel tanks after they were moved.........
http://img25.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img25&image=dscf00105wt.jpg
Image of my male dwarf Golden before he was place in the 180 reef tank with a female........
http://img141.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img141&image=dscf00044ul.jpg
And this shot is one the last photos i took of one of the Dragon Morays, this fella name is George.......................
http://img201.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img201&image=dscf00081rq.jpg

Buddy ><{{{{">

PS. I am with the thought of finding me a new digital camera, one that will show the animals full colors. The problem there is, i know nothing about cameras :(

OOPS :!: I forgot to add this image, it is my pair of Goldentail Morays. The way this happen is another person not all that far from me been trying a pair of Goldentails and had little success for what ever reason and because my Eel tanks were to be moved, i took the Eels out to Fish World and this person seen my adult Goldentails and asked about a switch and with it he paid few dollars for a well set pair. The pair he switched with me were then about 7.5-8" and is now about 10-10.5" And you can bet that the Dragons were top show at the store and i told Jeff the owner that he should pay me for advertising and he said that who is going to buy Eels like that, he meant money wise :roll:
Best wishes :)
Buddy ><{{{{">

Back
Top Bottom