Efficient GFO use: Canister or Reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I am currently running Clearmax, appears to be GFO as its a rusty brown color but described as resin that removes phosphates, nitrates, and nitrites, in my Fluval 305 canister filter. I was wondering if it would be worth my time to upgrade to a reactor for running GFO? I am now growing Acroporas and know they hate ANY phosphates. I am also growing chaeto in the DT (its growing well). My tank is a 20g and each box comes with 3-100g baggies. I usually just use one since my tank is so small.

Would I be better off using Phosban and a phosphate reactor? Or would I be better off sticking with this clearmax stuff and using all three at once?

I am assuming the reactor would be more efficient, but suspect that the increase wouldnt be worth the increase in money. ;-)

Matt

A Phosban 150 with a MaxiJet 400 or 600 would be great. You can better control the water flow through the GFO with the included ball valve. Of you could go to BRS (BulkReefSupply.com) and get a larger cannister for about the same money and buy GFO in bullk, though I don't know how much you will really need in a 20g tank.

Hate to hyjack Matt's thread, but how does taht 2 stage work for you?
Any problems with flow rate for the GFO vs. GAC?
Which is in the first cannister?
Are you able to open up the flow to stir up the GFO without causing too much flow through the GAC?
What pump are you using with it?
Which GAC and GFO are you using?
I know lots of questions, but I'm ready to order from them and want to nail down the full order so info from you would help <g>.

Hello,
I talked with the guy at my LFS and he said that if the clearmax looks like GFO, it likely is. His supplier of GFO for their tanks told him that its all the same stuff, just used in different ways. A reactor would be best, but the Fluval 305 method will also work. He seems to think my brown whispy algae is from the white eggcrate.

They feel the eggcrate leaches silicates into the water, and that I have an issue with silicates rather than phosphates. They took alot of eggcrate and after cleaning it, they let it soak in some large tanks of water for a few weeks. They said that after the soak, the water (originally RO/DI water) tested very high for silicates. They promptly removed ALL eggcrate from their store. ;-)

I will remove the eggcrate and give the Fluval 305+clearmax a few weeks to see if things get better before going the reactor route.

Thanks!
Matt

Hate to hyjack Matt's thread, but how does taht 2 stage work for you?
Any problems with flow rate for the GFO vs. GAC?
Which is in the first cannister?
Are you able to open up the flow to stir up the GFO without causing too much flow through the GAC?
What pump are you using with it?
Which GAC and GFO are you using?
I know lots of questions, but I'm ready to order from them and want to nail down the full order so info from you would help <g>.

It works good for me. I haven't had any problems with the flow rate because of the way you set up the sponges within the individual cannister. I am able to keep the GFO with a nice rumble on the surface but not enough to break it up into dust and the GAC is held tight so water flows throuhg it after it passes through the GFO. I use a MaxiJet 1200 to power it. I like to use the BRS GFO and GAC becaue they are less expensive. For the GAC I have used both their Lignite and ROX 08. For the GFO I used both their Pellets and Granules. They just posted an email for a coupon code, $5 off any order over $10. use code 5off10

Matt, that eggcrate information is interesting. Many folks (me included) have eggcrate in the sump. Eggcrate is plastic so I'm not sure how it's leaching silicate...
All GFO is the same regardless of what the manufacturer calls it. That's why I gave you the BRS info. It's cheaper there.

Got the coupon code from them, part of the reason I want to get my order in. OK two more MJ1200's to be ordered along with the dual and some ROX and GFO. Any difference between the granules and the pellets?

Matt, that eggcrate information is interesting. Many folks (me included) have eggcrate in the sump. Eggcrate is plastic so I'm not sure how it's leaching silicate...
All GFO is the same regardless of what the manufacturer calls it. That's why I gave you the BRS info. It's cheaper there.

Got the coupon code from them, part of the reason I want to get my order in. OK two more MJ1200's to be ordered along with the dual and some ROX and GFO. Any difference between the granules and the pellets?

You only need to get one MJ1200 to power the Dual Reactor from BRS. The Pellets are a little bit larger and require a little more flow to tumble than the Granules which are smaller. If you want more flow through your GAC then go with the Pellets. The pellets are suposedly less dusty too.

The 2nd MJ is a replacement. Not much more than cost of a new impeller and one just broke.
Think I'll go with the ROX and the granules and see how that works.

Thanks.

I use BRS GFO pellets. It's way less dusty that the granules.
If you never used Rox before, your in for a little suprize. Don't even attempt to try to rinse it out. Besides the fact is has virtually no dust, the carbon is so small it floats. The best way to use it is inside a mesh bag inside a reactor. If you don't put it in a mesh bag, make sure nothing can escape from the reactor or you will have a sump full of tiny carbon bits.

I use BRS GFO pellets. It's way less dusty that the granules.
If you never used Rox before, your in for a little suprize. Don't even attempt to try to rinse it out. Besides the fact is has virtually no dust, the carbon is so small it floats. The best way to use it is inside a mesh bag inside a reactor. If you don't put it in a mesh bag, make sure nothing can escape from the reactor or you will have a sump full of tiny carbon bits.

I agree, I'm going to go back to the pellets after I finish up this batch of GFO granules... less dusty and you can run the flow a little higher through it.
The ROX are tiny little cylinders, with the BRS-Reactor I havent had any problems with them getting past the sponges in the chamber and into the sump. However, the mesh bag may be a good idea and won't hurt. I may try that out.

Back
Top Bottom