egg crate canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dicjones

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw that steve-s had mentioned an egg crate cover for aquariums. I have a limited selection of local fish stores, as a result I am having trouble finding some. Just wondering if anyone could post me a link to a website that carries them. thanks!!

Hey go to lowes or home depot. In the "lighting" section or in the ceiling tiles section you will find what we are using. It's the white plastic grid for lights. Works great. :mrgreen:

Yeah your LFS probably wont have that...they rather you drop 30 or so on a glass cover then 10 on a egg crate....

Its great stuff...you can cut it to the size you need and cut out all the openings you need for equipment and it really does help keep the tank temp down during the day

Yeah I think they call them light diffusers, but most people will know what you mean if you ask for eggcrate.

Got mine at HD. $8.45 CND for an 4x2ft sheet.

Cheers
Steve

we call them eggcrates in the hvac business...they work well for return air vents in grid ceilings

No, just be sure it's not color coated. Some come with different colors but will typically flake off and can be a hazard to the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Can anyone post a pic? I had a fish jump out of the tank and die a slow painful death on the floor the other day, so I'm interested in a cover too. Are we sure the water gets oxygenated enough with a cover on it though?

limitup said:
Are we sure the water gets oxygenated enough with a cover on it though?
As long as the lid used is permiable you should be just fine. Solid lids are what creates the problem.

Cheers
Steve

continuing with this subject, i'm considering the egg crate top as well, but would like to know how hot does the egg crate begin to melt at? i have regular flourescents now, but plan on upgrading shortly. does anybody know?

Steve,

Since I have a sump on my big tank and it's open, is it alright to leave my glass tops on my big tank?

justmy2cents said:
Since I have a sump on my big tank and it's open, is it alright to leave my glass tops on my big tank?
Depends on the surface area and volume of the sump. Most do not equate to the surface area and volume of the main tank. If so I wouldn't really recommend it.

Sumps do allow for much more aeration from the overall flow of water so you'll just have to guage the wether or not it's a concern. The more O2 you can provide, the better off things will be. If there have never been issues with your set up you might be fine as you are.

Cheers
Steve

gfishguy56 said:
continuing with this subject, i'm considering the egg crate top as well, but would like to know how hot does the egg crate begin to melt at? i have regular flourescents now, but plan on upgrading shortly. does anybody know?
If you are upgrading to MH, then you would need to be sure there was adequate distance (8-12") from the tank top so melting should not be a concern. Any type of fluorescent can sit directly atop the eggcreate without a concern.

As to it's melting point, I have no clue.

Cheers
Steve

How do I find out the o2 level? I am using a mag 9.5 wide open with a duel overflow, and when the water hits the first chamber it's full of air bubbles. Right now the tank has lr, ls, and stars, crabs, and snails. All my fish are in QT due to an ich outbreak. :roll:

I wouldn't worry about testing the O2. Let the pH guide your descision. If it remains stable and is not too low at any given part of the day, you should be fine. Most all pH issues are from lack of proper gas exchange.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, my ph stays right at 8.2 all the time, day, night, lights on or off. (of course if the main tank lights are off then the sump is on).

Watch yrou water evaperation, it will sky rocket !
I don't like them. I use mine for a week and tossed it.
Went back to glass top.
I don't have a heat problem though...

Back
Top Bottom