Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
EHEIM Wet/Dry Filter vs. Sump

I have never used an Eheim, but I have heard good things about them.
I am getting ready to setup my 60g tank and looking into filters. This tank is going to be LS, 25# LR, and Fish. I have no planes on putting inverts in there at all.
I like th eidea of a sump as I can put the heater in there and skimmer (if I want to add inverts later). But I like the idea of a quite and inclosed filter under the tank.

Any input would be great.

fishyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome to aquarium advice !! id save your money and use a regular sump if it were me !! alot more flexible later down the road !! also if its designed right it will be quite for you

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Get a sump system and be sure to get the biggest sump possible. I am running out of room in mine. I have protein skimmer and return pump in mine and it`s full. I barely have room for a larger return pump

smooth_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up a new tank (120 gallons) with a sump....and Smooth's right...get the biggest you can and make sure you get the very best protein skimmer you can. I use Eheim canisters on all my freshwater tanks but I really like the sump for the marine tank because everything goes into it and so the tank's less cluttered. The only bad experiences I had when I set up the sump were that when I first set it up, the pump that I got (a Rio HF) made so much noise that I had to get rid of it. I replaced it with a Mag Drive and that's totally silent. The other thing that stressed me was that the overflows made so much noise (and the tank's in a room with the big screen TV that my lovely wife watches) that I thought I'd have to get rid of the sump for sure. It took me some Forum searching (right here in this Forum I might add) to get the answer to silencing it...it took that searching and a little bit of simple DIY with some PVC piping to get it to total silence. If you aren't afraid of a little tweaking, which will almost definitely be needed, go ahead and get the sump...By the way, if you do have that noise from the overflows, give us a ring and will get it quiet for you.
Something's gotta go wrong cause I'm feeling way too **** good.
Avi is offline   Reply With Quote

dry, eheim, eheim wet/dry filter, filter, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com