Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Electric Blue hermits eating my purple coraline algae ...

Hi all,
I have just added two LARGE electric blue hermits to my tank and they are demolishing my coraline algae. I realise that they may be hungry as they have been in the post the last 24 hrs and this is the first food they have come across but I'm just wondering if they are notorious for this?
They are beautiful but so is my coraline algae ...

Hope someone can give me an answer.
Thanks
Liz

Old 02-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I have blue legged hermit crabs, and they never touch the coraline, just the green algae tufts.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Are you feeding enuf so that leftovers hit the bottom, or do the fish eat it all first? If not already, try some sinking pellets. Just might keep them from looking at your coraline.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My hermits go nuts for Formula 2. Course, they also eat non-stop I guess.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I've never seen mine do that and I have one that is 2" in size, but anythings possible I guess.
I agree throw a few sinking pellets in. Its funny to watch my crabs race after them against the shrimp. It's kinda like the Hare vs Tortoise.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone.
I have blue legs, red legs and mexican red tips and none have ever bothered with coralline algae but these electrics are enormous. I did drop some crab pellets in and some algae flakes but they just went straight for the "good stuff"
These crabs are beautiful - but so is, or rather was, my coralline algae.

I bought them through ebay (seller's wife liked snails but not crabs) and they only arrived today through the post. They won't have had any food for the last 24hrs so I guess they must be ravenous. I've never seen hermits eat coralline before and certainly not the way these two have demolished it. (They are definately electrics as well). Perhaps they have a deficienncy and will stop once they replenish lost calcium? I can but hope

Thanks again
Liz
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

One positive...

They'll poop the stuff and make it spread even better.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

If that's the case I love munching critters. I'd just never heard of hermits doing this and wondered whether I'd overlooked this almightly flaw when making my purchase.

Tags
algae, coral, coraline, eat, eating, electric, electric blue, hermit, hermits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com