Electrical Current In Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up my sump about 2 weeks ago. Tonight I was cleaning up and I stuck my finger with a little cut in the water. It game me a little jolt. I tried sticking the same finger in the qt, and no current. I then started unplugging things. When I unplugged the mag 7 pump, the electrical current was gone.

Is this normal?

What should I do?

PS. My fish showed no signs of ich, until I installed the sump..... :?

TIA. :wink:

revhtree,

No, I would say that is not normal 8O
If it was a proper split in an AC cord, it would have been a severe shock, not
a little jolt
It sounds like you may have a "ground loop" and the main tank is somehow part of the return. (I experience this in my other hobby, Ham Radio, when I'm powering up transceivers) I would try plugging the Mag 7 into a different outlet (not just another socket on the same extension bus). I would also test it plugged in directly to the wall socket and see if it still gives you a little shock. Plugging into the wall socket means that you will be connected directly to a ground circuit (assuming your house wiring is to code). If the problem occurs when the pump is plugged into an extension strip, it might mean that the "ground return" of the extension strip is faulty.

Keep us updated.

Regards gear-head (W3UTD)

Get a grounding probe for the tank after you find the problem.
Your lfs should have them, they are pretty cheap and well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom