Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cause if it gets to far ahead it cuts itself off cause the water line gets to low

This is the motor I need. What kind is it?

ff- actuall it's pretty failsafe. Both syphons (input/output) die if the motor stops before overflowing the wet/dry. The level in the wet/dry has been constant for 2 days. I'll feel pretty good when I have this magic pump.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
This special motor is just a normal PH turned upside down, haha. I supose I could have explained that a bit better. It's just that if the input for the pump is facing up, the water has to go up and over it, so when the water level drops to far, no water "falls" into the input of the pump, Maybe this explains it better???

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
that sounds like you could burn out that motor. Who manufacturs this? Most powerheads I know of need to be in water all the time or else...
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, but would the motor shut down or would it just "run dry" until it burned up?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it will run dry. My water pump in my skimmer runs dry when the pre-skimmer goes empty accidently.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd bet it will run dry until it gets damaged and/or burns up.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm wondering if a ball float on a string attached to a toggle switch hanging above the box would work? When the water level got too low, the weight of the ball would pull the string down, thus pulling the toggle and shutting down the pump.

Geez - it's gonna look like a game of "Mousetrap" under there.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Really what you all describing is way more complex than a simple hang on overflow. While I dont like them much the CPR overflows have a very low intank profile.

To be fully honest I ordered one for a future tank im putting together. After a few months it would more than likly be covered in coraline so much you wouldnt notice it at first glance.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Yes, the PH I am using is always underwater, it never actually runs dry because the water isn't pumped out unless water is being pumped in. It only cost me 18 bucks anyways, so no big deal. And yes, it is MUCH more complicated than an actuall overflow, but I had the PH extra, and those OFB's cost like 75 bucks, which is more than it's going to cost me to put the internal boxes in in a few weeks, which I'm REALLY looking forward too!!!

Laters all...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dudes. I just got De ja vous from this thread....woaw...

has that happened to anyone before? It's a first for me.

and that whole string tied to the switch Idea really sounds a bit iffy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com