Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
You could put a float switch in to control the power to the PH but again, this is making it harder than it should be

You could also put a battery back up or some kind of power supply to keep the power to the tank running even when the power is out in the house. Then rig up a pager system to page you when the power goes out if you are away. Then you know you would have x amount of time to get home if the power supply was limited. 8)

Would be cool actually.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I have a float switch connected to a relay which controls my main pump from the sump. If the water level is too high in the display, the float switch is activated, and closes the relay. This is just in case the cpr fails for some reason. I don't think that cpr's handle power outages well, but this covers that scenario.

The power went out for 4 hours while i was away in mexico. I knew that because I had an analog and digital time showing 2 different times. Anyways, the floatswitch worked perfect and the overflow never fully started again. There was too much air in the unit.

If consequence dictate my course of action, then it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught.....
yaksplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
That is awesome. A float to monitor the main pump is some good insurance.
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:36 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's not that I necessarily WANT to do this, but using a little ingenuity is more appealing that tearing down my entire 1500 lb aquarium to move it 1 more inch from the wall so I can put that huge ugly yellowed pre-filter box in the tank.

I found a sump switch that fits this application. I'm gonna try it.
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Let us know how it works for you!!! and I want to see some pics of your homemade overflow box!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com