Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Electricity question

Is there a power strip or some kind of device that will, if the power in the house goes out, not regain power until it is reset?

The problem is if the power goes out, the pump stops and siphon stops. Once power returns, the pump will run with the siphon stopped and run dry. I want the pump to stay off until I can reset it.

Has anyone heard of such an animal?

Old 08-19-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i think some powerbars can do this probably just the good ones though check the electronic shops

Old 08-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ideally, you would want the level in the overflow to not drop far enough to lose the siphon. Maybe a longer U tube?

I had the same issue when I used a HOB overflow. I don't use it any more though.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

actually, I don't have the pre-filter on the tank (I didn't leave room in back). I didn't really want the big nasty discolored yellow box in the tank anyway.

So now it's just a PVC pipe system running directly from the tank to the wet/dry (with the holes drilled for power loss).
Old 08-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
I had this same problem with my tank, I fixed it by using a powerhead turned upside down pumping into my sump. This works great because if the water level goes down just a little bit the PH has no water to pump, but when the power comes back on and water is pumped out of your sump into your main tank and the water level goes back up past the intake of the PH all resumes. This also makes a makeshift surface skimmer for me. A powerhead will cost about the same as a powerstrip of that complexity I would guess, just a suggestion. Good luck.

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd considered that too, nygh.

I decided against it because I didn't think I could match the flow between the powerhead and the pump, so I decided to just regulate the siphon flow with a valve (and save the $50 for the extra PH). Works well so far with this one minor problem.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
there is something available for that....I would say you will need to ask your home depot man. he can point you in the right direction. (although I bet its not to cheap.)
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
It would be far easier fixing your syphon problem. To be 100% honest having a setup how you describe would leave me very uncomfortable if I was you.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Just for the record, you don't have to "match" the PH's. The one pumping out can be as big as you want, cause if it gets to far ahead it cuts itself off ause the water line get's to low, works great. I am planning a HUGE upgrade in less than a month though that will be posted to my website, cause this setup isn't ideal, it just works "for now"

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
will that work without burning out the motor?

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com