elegance coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had an elegance coral in my tank for a couple of months now and it was doing great. Recently, it all of the sudden stopped opening and expanding. O think it has a "brown jelley" infection. I did a fresh water dip and it did no good. it looks the same. Should I try a dip in Lugol's solution? This may help end the infection. Thanks.

are you sure its been a couple months... Elegance corals rarely make it past the 3 week to 1 month mark no a days... Eric Borneman is doing some research on the cause right now but so far there has not yet been a cure or a reason... More than likely its not going to make it.. If it were me I would try the Lugols dip just because but dont get your hopes up... Just cross your fingers... You can look over at RC in Erics forum as to the progress of the project.. Last I heard he was making some pretty good headway in the project.. Might also be worth it to snap a few pics and get them over to him for his advice on the issue as well..

HTH<
James

I've heard the same thing. Unfortunately this is one of those corals that is no longer suited for the home aquarium. Maybe one day we will know what's wrong with them, or better yet what we are doing wrong, but as of now...avoid them.

One thing we have learned is that they must face up.....you cannot put them on their sides.

cj10488...I checked the checkbook and you are right, it has been 5 weeks since I got it. But it was a the LFS for several weeks before I took it home. I just do not understand what happened. My water parameters are wonderful...Temp is 80, ph is 8.2, calc. is 400, Alk is 3.5, amonia/nitrite/nitrate all at zero, SG is 1.023. I have plenty of light for it. It was doing great and then all of the sudden crashed. No changes to the tank and no new additions. Just very frustrating. I did do my homework and everything I have read says these are pretty easy to keep. I think I did everything right, I picked a coral that was looking great at the LFS, feed it well and provided everything it needed. No other problems with anything else in the tank. It will be interesting to see what the new research brings. Something has obviously changed with these corals. I will try the Lugol's and see what happens. Thanks for your replies and I will keep you posted. Lando

If it's brown jelly infection, and it's been 5 hours since your first post....it should be about 1/4 to 1/2 consumed by the elly by now... is that the case?

FWIW, my elegance used to close up for 3 days about once per month.

No, it has been like this for 3 or four days now. It just refusses to open and the edges are light brown. It no longer has it's green color. Here is a pic.

reefrunner69 said:
FWIW, my elegance used to close up for 3 days about once per month.

I assume by you using past tense you do not have the elegance coral any longer, but it sound's like yours made it past the typical few weeks? Would you mind sharing your experience with this coral?

Actually, the pic was taken less then an hour ago. I hope it pulls through. It is still in my tank and I did the lugols's dip this afternoon. I will let you know how it does tomorrow.

Lando neeed a bigger pic.

Brown Jelly infection is evidenced by a brown gelatenous slime consuming your coral (rather quickly too, you can easily lose a large coral in less than a day). If it doesn't have the gelatenous material, it's not brown jelly.

Jamal-188

I had an elegance coral about 7 years ago for about 5 years, when we moved, I sold it, it was perfectly healthy when I sold it and about 5 times bigger than when I bought it. The bad elegances had just started showing up on the scene when I got mine, you still had a 50/50 chance of getting a good one, luck of the draw I guess, I did lose one to all they symptoms that are indicitive of a bad elegance before I got that one.

Back
Top Bottom