elegance coral...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been wanting to get an elegance coral for a while now but the guy that I want to buy it from says that you should have a tank of at least a year to have everything dialed in and to get the experience to have one of these. I don't know how much of that is true though. Does anyone have one or had one and could tell me a little more about it. I read on Live Aquaria about it and it says moderate care and lighting. I'm in the process of changing over tanks right now from my 29gal to a 50gal. I'm starting with fresh sand and about 40lbs of lr uncured and then my 46lbs of lr from my 29gal. I will have the Coral life 260Watt PC's for lighting. Do you think this will be okay? I have a bunch of info on equipment on the "my info" button. Sorry for such a long post! TIA!

There is no info on your button. Secondly, it does need great water conditions and it sounds like you're still setting up - or migrating to a new tank. Curing live rock and all. This will/may cause water instability for enuf time to harm or kill the elegance.

I'd wait if I were you. How old is the elegance? From a private owner or LFS? I also believe that it's hard to find a good hardy elegance in recent times. They just seem not to be as hardy as I've heard they were in past years.

Actually, they have never been very hardy and are a rather difficult coral to keep. I sure wouldnt choose one without alot of deliberation first.

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I didnt do anything stupid by buying it! :) You're right about moving tanks and having the water unstable. I have one more question though. When I go to move all of my old lr with the corals attached to it over to my new tank, will they be okay? I'm waiting for my new tank to cycle first because I started with fresh sand and about the same amount of lr that I have in my old tank. I didnt think it would be a wise idea to just throw them all in at once. I dont know why myinfo button isn't working. I have it all filled out. Maybe I'm just not doing something right.

If you've got that much already cured LR, you shuld cure the uncured stuff in a rubber tub with flow and heat if needed. When you move it all to the new tank, you may have an instant cycle and not go thru the ammonia and nitrite spike.

Sorry, been off the boards since Thursday last week. We still got time to arrange this move?

Yeah I'm still waiting on my lights to come in so I can move everything over into the new tank. I've just been curing the rock in the new tank in the mean time. I'm just afraid of when I do move all my old rock in that there wont be enough bacteria to fight off the cycle and kill all of my corals and if not all then definately some of the more sensitive ones.

most of my corals are on the big pieces of LR though. :( Either that or they are helping to keep my long tenticle plate coral from roaming around stinging everything.

Back
Top Bottom