Elegance Coral concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a rather large and beautiful australian elegance. I am bringing a pair of tiny black oscellaris home tomorrow and have concerns about the coral and my fish interacting.

If they try to host it and the coral wants no part of it will it kill my fish? This coral could probably eat both of the fish size wise.

Am I just being overly concerned? I just re-homed a huge anenome that I bought when I first started my tank cause I didnt want him, (a condy,) to eat my clownfish.

Anyone have any experience with the combo?

I've had the combo of a elegance and clowns in the same tank for a couple years before at my old house, I had no anemones in the tank but it was the clowns who wanted nothing to do with elegance. IMO I doubt the elegance will eat them though.

I'm not trying to freak you out; I have no personal experience with this. But Phlex posted the other day that his elegance coral ate his clown. It was a short thread. They think it might have just died and been eaten by the Elegance coral. Have you tried searching other websites?

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
I'm not trying to freak you out; I have no personal experience with this. But Phlex posted the other day that his elegance coral ate his clown. It was a short thread. They think it might have just died and been eaten by the Elegance coral. Have you tried searching other websites?

Yeah I read that thread. Wanted to see if there were any other stories of that.

The elegance won't eat the fish. What is more likely though is if the fish hosts in the elegance, it will irritate the coral causing it to recede and die. Not saying it'll happen for sure, but clowns will often "love" a LPS to death.

Wow, yet another thing to worry about. lol My babies havent even ventured to the bottom of the tank yet so I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks, love learning new stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom