Elegance Coral dead spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
A portion of the rock that my elegance coral was attached to was a little lose from transport from the lfs.

In the past few days, that small piece of rock has detached and begun to drop away, pulling part of the elegance coral with it.

Yesterday, that piece of rock finally fell (or the elegance coral finally let it go) and the bloom around where the rock was began to die off (changed color shriveled up)

This morning, that section of the elegance coral was all decayed and looked like a cloud of puss and seemed to be spreading. I removed as much of the decayed material as I could, but do not beleive I got all of it.

Will this death spread to the rest of the elegance? Is there something I can do? The dead portion is difficult to remove as it is slimy.

Hope someone can help! :)

Todd

Use a small diameter hose, like airline tubing to siphon the "jelly" off. You should also consider a Lugols dip, or a FW dip (adjust ph and temp to that of the tank) of 1 minute. When an LPS corals flesh is torn that way, it is very susceptible to infection, sounds like a brown jelly infection. You must act quickly, ot the protozoans responisble for the infection will consume the flesh in short order.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do the dip this evening.

Have not heard of the Lugols dip. Do you have more info on this?

Thanks a ton!

Todd

Lugol's solution is a combonation of alchohol, potassium iodide and iodine, it is very strong and should be used with care. A lugol's dip would contain 40 drops of lugol's solution to 1 gallon of tank water. I am not sure of the time frame, it is probably very short, like 1-5 minutes. Personally I would go with the FW dip first and if that doesn't stem the infection, I would then move to a lugols dip.

Back
Top Bottom